G 9729 Lead Screw Deburring!

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

16WhiteColly

G 9729 Lead Screw Deburring!

Post by 16WhiteColly »

Can those of you that have deburred the keyway in the lead screw please share some good tips on how to do this? Tools used, file, soft deburr wheel, etc. thanks.
40 year retired machinist.
Bill Shields

Re: G 9729 Lead Screw Deburring!

Post by Bill Shields »

Not on this specific lathe..but I have done what you are describing using a riffler file, magnifying headset and lots of time
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
16WhiteColly

Post by 16WhiteColly »

How hard is the burr to remove? Take much effort on each thread?
40 year retired machinist.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

that is like asking how long is a piece of string or how high is up -> and I could be sarcastic and comment that in reality there is only one thread.

Small burrs take longer than big burrs. Experience with this type of clean up makes a big difference in 'time it takes'.

What I can do in two days may take someone else two weeks (or two hours).

Amount of burr can change from one location on the screw to another assuming burr is from use rather than manufacturing.

If it is from manufacturing...then I would be talking to grizzley.

Recommend you not be tempted to chuck screw and hit it with a file as it rotates.

Holding screw in chuck is an expedient method of work holding..and will probably apply here -> but this is still a hand work operation since you only want to be removing the burr not generally removing metal from the entire leadscrew.

Question...is this a leadscrew that has a keyway cut along it's length and you are chasing burrs in that area...or is it a case that the leadscrew is truly worn?

I have assumed a leadscrew with the longitudinal key -> and the burr is in that area.

HOWEVER if it is a case of an actual worn screw with a burr on the od if the thread...my suggestion would be a replacement screw
Too many things going on to bother listing them.