Turbulators on propane boiler

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Chris Hollands

Re: Turbulators on propane boiler

Post by Chris Hollands »

Russ you are correct the burner is one of Al's burners I forgot about how he designed it , it has been awhile since I read Al's burner details .
Thanks
Chris Hollands

Post by Chris Hollands »

Nicholas - PM sent
Dave_Johnson

Post by Dave_Johnson »

Are the turbulators easily removed? Can they be pulled out from the same side they were installed or do the wedge against the direction they were installed?

I'm definitely interested in getting some.

Thanks

Dave J.
Chris Hollands

Post by Chris Hollands »

From what Nicholas has told me they only go in one direction - the direction they are inserted is the direction they can only be pulled out

In one end and out the other .

I have also learnt that the turbulator is approx 1/8" smaller than the ID of the tube - eg 1/2" ID tube you would order a 3/8 OD version so they can be removed .

Nicholas gave me some pricing on what I required - you do get a different price if you order more than 50 and if you order double length there

is a bit of a lower price - you would then have to cut the turbulator in half when you received them .

I have 61 copper tubes 30" long approx - they are 5/8OD + 1/2 ID .

Option 1 - 61 - 3/8" OD turbulators 30" long = $16.24 each ( $17.70 if less than 50 in quantity )

Option 2 - 31 - 3/8" OD tubulators 60" long = $27.54 each ( 13.77 per 30" ) and then cut in half .

Hope this helps people a bit as a reference .

Nicholas was very helpful and quick to respond .
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I like the barber pole variety that can be inserted or removed in either direction.

Efficiency is nice but convenience and maintainability trumps all
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
RNexpress

Post by RNexpress »

Hello Drprez,

I really appreciate this forum and all the information that people post. Thank you for all your contributions. I too am interested in the coiled wire turbulators for my Allen Mogul. I just installed a LocoParts propane burner with a much larger arch and am ready to put the boiler back on the frame. It has 25 tubes, 5/8" OD, 1/2" nominal ID, and are 18.5" long. How should I go about procuring some turbulators? I sent you a couple of private messages, perhaps you have not noticed them yet, not sure I did it correctly. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Ron
Burbank, CA
Drprez

Post by Drprez »

I can get anyone a quote you can email me or send me a text message. 702-608-6425
Nicholas Kalair
Las Vegas, NV

...the best is yet to come...
Drprez

Post by Drprez »

To better clarify (this is pure preference based on my experience) about 1/8” smaller than the ID of your tubes seems to work best and still give a snug fit. These work like Chinese handcuffs they go in one way and more or less are hard to pull out from that direction.
DDD5D66E-EEC6-4BB3-826D-6AC9834E4327.jpeg
They are stainless steel wire that is twisted in a loop drop format almost like a Christmas tree. One end has a loop you can hook a pull wire to and the other end has about 6 inch king wire ends.

For my boiler I have 5/8” ID (inside diameter) tubes. So I use 1/2” size turbulators. And they run the length of my tubes from fire to smoke box with about 1/4” on each end so there is something to grab if you even needed to remove them.

Below are a few pictures of them. If you are interested you can email or text me and I can get you a quote.

I just need to know

1) the diameter you want the turbulator (not the diameter of your tubes)
2) the length you want (usually your tube length plus 1/2 inch.
3) total quantity you want

Text is best for fast reply but you can email me also.
702-379-9399
Attachments
This is 1/2” inside a 5/8 id tube
This is 1/2” inside a 5/8 id tube
Looking from the firebox door into the firebox
Looking from the firebox door into the firebox
This is the loop end that is in the smoke box
This is the loop end that is in the smoke box
This is the wire hook I use to pull them through my tubes.
This is the wire hook I use to pull them through my tubes.
Inside the firebox
Inside the firebox
Nicholas Kalair
Las Vegas, NV

Drprez

Post by Drprez »

I have added a link on my online store so you can order the turbulators if you would like.

I have them in stock for 3/8", 1/2", 5/8" OD. If you need a custom size or if you have any questions please send me a text or email when ordering.

http://bridgecutters.com/products.php?cat=13

Stay Safe!
Nick
Nicholas Kalair
Las Vegas, NV

Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

Not that I have any doubt that they work and increase efficiency, but I would be interested seeing some actual data. I installed a new locoparts burner in my mogul as well, and with CBrews suggestion of an arch and baffles the efficiency of my boiler has increased greatly. I would be quite interested to see how much more efficient the boiler can be with turbulators installed.
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

i am also interested seeing the difference between the simple twisted stainless strips vs these.
thank you
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

consider the following:

80% (approximately) of heat is transferred in the firebox -> small changes there make major differences in boiler efficiency.

that leaves 20% of the heat for the firetubes.

yes -> turbulators do work (and I use them) -> but I did not fret over a couple of % in an area of the boiler where the difference may never be seen in our application.

I went for 'easy in / easy out / easy future maintenance *like needing to re-roll a tube'. Has not happened (yet) but forever the pessimist....

I also would like to see about a comparison on a loco boiler between none / twisted barber pole type / more advanced design

darn well sure there is a reason they are built...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.