Favorite filler for cast iron?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Comstock-Friend

Favorite filler for cast iron?

Post by Comstock-Friend »

My Coventry castings on the 3/4" D30 0-6-0 have a worm hole or two; some have some pits below the surface. As these are NOT John K's Friends Yankee Shop Models castings I can't expect him to replace them. Mostly cosmetic, but one connects the outside of a cylinder head to the counterbore the piston rod nut fits in.

Any suggestion for your favorite filler/bondo? Anything that will be steam tight?

John
milwiron

Re: Favorite filler for cast iron?

Post by milwiron »

The original (not quick set) JB Weld is good stuff and readily available.

Denny
"Measure twice, curse once."
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

JB Weld makes a whole range of different products including ones that are safe for high temperature applications. For any parts that will get hot from the boiler/steam I would be sure to use something well above the necessary temperature range.
-Frank K.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

As Denny wrote above, the regular JB Weld works great. It is easy to sand down to an imperceptible blend into the surrounding area, and it's good to 550 degrees.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
rudd

Post by rudd »

Nickel bearing silver solder (safety silv 50n) does decent on CLEAN cast iron, use the black flux, and don't overheat the flux.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

I've had good luck stick welding cast iron with this high nickel rod (ENi-CI (Ni99))from Mcmaster #7973A612. Get everything nice and toasty with a torch (sooty and then burn it off), weld, then cover with a fireproof blanket when done to let it cool down. Machines well.
SteveR
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
Measure twice, cut once, wait - it was supposed to be brass! :)
Santafescotty60

Post by Santafescotty60 »

Hello Good People,
Possibly thinking about the pin hole /worm hole just thinkin could you drill and tap for a model bolt or model pipe hole fill it with jb weld assemble it while the goop is setting up , by screwing in the threads you would be hydraulically filling the void gently so you don't split the casting like finger tight several times before, letting it set up .And then saw off the plug,\/ bolt peen it down file it off . like your Play-doh days of youth if you have no welder or torches. marine epoxies "Splash Zone" brand name if they still make it worked well
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have filled in such with brazing rod (brass) and an oxy touch with borax flix.

Takes time to get hot and you should allow to cool slowly...but it works.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

If it's cosmetic JB Weld is fine, if it's structural braze it.
I bought a Pacific project a few years ago that had rod binding issues; aside from the quartering being out, when I pressed out the axles I found the hubs looked like sponges. On one wheel there was only about 10% bearing on a key. I packed the axle holes with liquid steel and did the screw trick previously mentioned to force the liquid steel into all the nooks and crannies, drilled, reamed, bored and cut new key slots in a different quadrant. And although I'm continuing to rebuild the project, I don't think I will invest in a boiler, because in retrospect I don't trust that the wheels will hold up in service. Moral of the story...do an appropriate repair. John
Comstock-Friend

Post by Comstock-Friend »

Thanks for your experiences guys!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Note...if you are filling a deep hole with brazing rod it may be necessary to grind it out so that you can get the filler all the way to the bottom.. or air will bubble up and cause problems...think funnel...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Kay_B

Post by Kay_B »

I will add that it is better to fill the cavities with a thin tool so that there are no air bubbles left at the bottom. Metal hardens quickly in cold material.