Speaker selection switch, and more than you wanted to know!

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

neanderman

Re: Speaker selection switch, and more than you wanted to know!

Post by neanderman »

Thanks, Harold. I had a terrible June/July /August with work. I really need to retire, so I can do some ''important" work!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Harold:
Carmina Burana. One of my favorite compositions ever! Now I respect you even more than before! (Oh oh...)
I have attended live presentations of Carmina Burana in Seattle, performed by the Seattle Symphony and the Seattle Chorus.
Truly a mind bending experience!
And the history of Carl Orf composing that music is equally fascinating. I've never thought of Monks the same.
RussN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

NP317 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:37 am Truly a mind bending experience!
I agree. Susan and I had the good fortune to see it performed in Utah, many years ago.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
RSG

Post by RSG »

OMG that's nuts Harold! You definetly do love audio! Reminds me of a friend, he just showed me some fancy flat speaker wire that cost more than my whole system :shock: LOL.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Heh! Flat speaker wire? Like Monster cable?
There's a thriving industry in providing meaningless accessories for sound systems. Some of these folks want the consumer to believe that even the type of insulation applied to the conductor makes a difference. It goes without saying, that borders on the impossible to prove, and it makes no sense, in particular for speaker leads.

I've used a combination of 12 gauge Monster cable along with 10 gauge THHN stranded copper (for long runs). All I know is that sound is delivered, and that's my objective. I've put my money on meaningful components.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
RSG

Post by RSG »

Harold_V wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:03 pm I've used a combination of 12 gauge Monster cable
LOL, that all I have and is seems to sound just fine :lol:
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

The bigger the wire is, the more music can crawl through it!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Hi Harold, I just came across your speaker selector switch thread and never realized there were audio enthausists on this forum. I am originally from New York City and used to attend all the audio shows that presented the latest and greatest hi-fi gear. I remember a turntable that could play upside down in a viscus liquid. I don't remember what the purpose of it was, but it was of interest. The shows were held in the Roosevelt hotel and took up 5 floors of the latest gear. The sound was fantastic to say the least. At the time, 1950's, the gear was dirt cheap compare to what it costs today, but was still too much for my budget. I was making only 40$ an hour back then, but I was still able to afford a Bogen 10W amp, Pilot FM tuner and later a Dynaco 70 W amp and preamp. At the time, I didn't realize the Dynaco was almost as good as the high end amps, like Mark Levinsons and Macs. With a few dollars worth of parts, the Dynaco could compare very well with the high end amps. I never had much money for good speakers and usually made my own using Wharfdale woofers. My first excursion into stereo (binaural) was with 2 tape recorders sync'd to record and play back. Synchronization was tricky, but once achieved, was something my ears couldn't believe. I dabbled in linear tracking turntables, that I built from surplus parts. Much later in life after I settled down with a wife and family, I got some more serious audio gear. My speakers were Celestion, a Teac 3 head tape deck and Harmon Kardon 120W receiver and Garrad turntable. I had a lot of DBX noise reduction gear, I still have, but haven't used in years. At my present level, I still dream about the fantastic audio gear out there, but can't afford. My dream has been to get a pair of Dahlquist DQ10 speakers that I think were some of the best speakers around; that was some 40+ years ago that I heard them in San Francisco. I now live in South Mississippi. I listen to music every waking moment of my life. My musical tastes are classical, jazz, vintage rock, blues and vintage country. My all time favorites are Mozart, Beethoven, Paganini, Strauss (light music), Hank Williams, Ahmed Jamal, Johnny Cash, Harmonicats (deep throaty bass), DooWop, The Platters, Earl Garner and much more. Now at 86, I can only reminisce of the good old days gone past. BTY, I found an AM radio station in your neck-of-the-woods that I listen to all the time. It is HBRD in Olympia, Wa. It plays only music from the 1890's to the end of the 78 rpm era. It is at 890Khz and can be heard via the internet. It is supposed to be the 7th best radio station. You might enjoy it. I have heard music that I remember from the late 30's to the 50's.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi