Making a lockable aluminum box

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

ecdez

Making a lockable aluminum box

Post by ecdez »

I noticed that this section of the forum hadn't had any posts since July so I thought I'd show a project I did earlier this year. It's a lockable storage box for under the seat of my VW bus. It's 0.090" alumium. I made it in my garage and it's a little tight in there so please don't judge me too harshly. It's also only my third sheet metal project so I know there's a lot of room for improvement.
bus box.jpg

And here's a video if your interested.

Mr Ron

Re: Making a lockable aluminum box

Post by Mr Ron »

Every time anyone mentions "VW bus", it brings back unpleasant memories. I had a 1960, 23 window with sliding roof bus I bought new. I had it for 3 years before I got divorced and my ex got possession of the bus. Now that I see how much those buses are worth, that is the reason for my unpleasant memory. I wish I still had that bus. I also had a 1959 VW Karmann Ghia.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
ecdez

Post by ecdez »

Man, bummer. Those are worth a fortune. That Lowlight Ghia is worth some cash too. I had a 59 that was in terrible shape but even at that I sold it for 1k and a guy came from the opposite coast to get it. Crazy dude.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Nice!
You're pretty comfortable with those sheet metal tools. :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ecdez

Post by ecdez »

Thanks! I wish I had more time to play with them.