Indiana hunting rule change

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

steamin10

Indiana hunting rule change

Post by steamin10 »

For the first time, Indiana has approved Rifle for deer hunting. Previously it has been shotgun only with slugs, in 10,12 20 28 and .410.

Otherwise known as high powered rifle, the calibers allowed states: .243 (6mm) and .308 (7.62), with case length of 1.16 inches, and less than 1.8 inches. other center fire calibers between .243 and .308 are prohibited. ( I do not understand why.). Full metal jacket is prohibited. 10 rounds only afield.

Pistol of calibers over .357 have been approved in higher power rounds with many common pistol rounds banned. Full metal jacket is prohibited. Open carry on private lands in deer season.

The cross bow experiment continues with pull ratings of #125 lbs or greater allowed for all deer hunts.

Electronic licensing is approved, as long as an image is obtainable on demand to DNR and Police entities.

Remote unmanned vehicles are banned for use afield to track herd, isolate, or identify deer for hunting purposes. (drones).

View the resident and no-resident rules and regulations at : INHuntFish.com
I live in area 10 in the NW corner of the State, and it covers 9 counties, with a lot of deer on corn based farmland. We have fat deer.

i hope this generates some interest to get afield, and tune up your hunting skills and equipment.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
homebrew .357

Re: Indiana huning rule change

Post by homebrew .357 »

Gees, what`s wrong with the good old 3006, 7x57, 270, and ones stuffed if you can't use the old 45-70 Sharps. In the N Z bush only .22 rimfire and shotgun are banned, mainly to stop bird shooting. O M G, no muzzle loaders!!!, that's stuffed it, I`m not coming a hunting over there. Homebrew.357.
Dave_C

Post by Dave_C »

Steamin 10,

Those case length make no sense for .243 or .308 guns. 308 case length is 2.015"

What gives?

Dave C.
I learn something new every day! Problem is I forget two.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Dave_C wrote:Steamin 10,

Those case length make no sense for .243 or .308 guns. 308 case length is 2.015"

What gives?

Dave C.
I expect that the objective in restrictions is intended to limit long distance travel of the bullets. That's the chief reason shotguns have been historically used instead of rifles.

Here in Washington, several years ago, a woman was killed by a shot from a rifle that originated about a mile away. These are the kinds of episodes that are hoped to be eliminated by not permitting high powered rifles and hand guns for hunting.

The shooter, who was just "target" shooting, inadvertently killed the woman, had a record, and was not supposed to possess firearms.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveHGraham

Re: Indiana hunting rule change

Post by SteveHGraham »

Makes me want to get out there with my AK. It's a sporting gun! No, seriously!
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
steamin10

Re: Indiana hunting rule change

Post by steamin10 »

Harold is most likely on cue with the idea. It is of little comfort to me with the novice quality of hunters and gunkies I have met afield. I expect there is a military mind behind the update: BIG WORLD, little bullet in its base.

Ya, I have a scoped SKS sport rifle now. Mods are featured in the gunsmithing area, if you missed . Just remember, the guys at the gun shop told me only 10 rounds afield, and the clip must be blocked at 5 rounds. It smells of a trap to catch the unwary, to me.

In Northern Michigan, the two weeks they allow rifle, they close the schools, and just about close the small towns, as everybody scrambles for the woods. Only the Northern half of Michigan had rifle, the rest of the time gun meant shotgun. I did not check, so that is old info.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.