Rifle kit

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

jeffreyguy

Rifle kit

Post by jeffreyguy »

Hi all, I've been lurking here for a long time and finally decided to register. For years I've been fascinated by Frank Dehass's Chicopee Rifle. For a while there was a fellow selling partial kits of just the receiver sides and breech block but that was almost 10 years ago now. So having the mechanical background I do I made cad files of all the flat parts and the breech block and sent them off to be laser cut and machined. The thing that makes my kit special is that it comes with almost everything you need to build the rifle. I drew up the whole internal mechanism and had it cut from 1018 as well. I designed the barrel block to take a standard .925 dia Ruger 10/22 barrel and made a couple minor mods for ease of manufacturing. As soon as I complete my prototype and receive confirmation from the RCMP that I am OK to do so, I plan to offer these kits for sale, complete with springs and pins. All that will be needed is to weld up the receiver sides, drill a few holes and do some hand fitting. I also have a deal with a stockmaker to produce custom and semi custom stocks that can be included in the kit as an option. Would there be any interest in something like this? My next kit is a semi auto tilting block .223 of my own design, but that is still a work in progress.

This picture is from google but you can see that they are a fine looking gun
JackF

Re: Rifle kit

Post by JackF »

Welcome to Chaski jeffreyguy. I believe there would be some interest, depending on price. :) Maybe when you get the kits ready for sale you could start a build thread in this forum. :) :) Any sales pitches however must be placed in the free "Commercial Advertisements" forum.

Jack.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I would be interested

But as I live in south of the Canada border, I am not sure I will be able to purchase one based on U.S. Regulations.

The one on shipping receivers over a state line comes to mind.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-lic ... es-outside

I am hoping your questions to the RCMP will address this.

Pretty work by the way.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Happycamper

Post by Happycamper »

This would be classified as a non firearm since it is pieces that need to be machined and welded together to become a firearm. You can buy 80% 10-22 and AR15 receivers that are not firearms until finished machined.
Happycamper

Post by Happycamper »

Jeffrey guy, take a look at some of the 80% receivers. Don't know what the Canuck laws are but like on an 80% 10-22 receiver, the hole for the barrel needs to be machined as well as the holes for the trigger group and barrel hold down clamp. You could CNC a receiver like that and it would be a non-firearm here in the states.
jdl6mm

Post by jdl6mm »

What kind of price are you talking about
WolframMalukker

Post by WolframMalukker »

You can offer your kit in the US, but BEFORE you sell one, you need to get an ATF letter stating what they consider to be "80%". Happycamper's explaination seems backwards to me-I am inclined to think that your "kit" may NOT have the barrel hole finished, and may NOT have any of the fire control group holes drilled. There are AR-15 weld-up lowers that are exactly this way-the buffer tube hole may not be finished and zero fire control group holes may be drilled.

Either way-best bet is get an ATF letter and keep it in a safe place. You CAN offer a partial kit-leave out the block that gets machined into the barrel mount, that's just a square block of steel and would put you into the catagory of "not even close" to a firearm.