Searching for Albert S. Campbell miniature train pioneer

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Searching for Albert S. Campbell miniature train pioneer

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hello,all, this is an updated request for information regarding miniature steam locomotives (3/4" or 1" scale, or 12 5/8" gauge 4-4-0) made from castings sold by Albert S. Campbell between 1894 and 1950. Since I first posted this inquiry, I have learned Mr. Campbell sold castings for 3 1/16" ga, 4 3/4" ga, and 6 1-2" ga, and a 12 5/8" gauge 4-4-0' but never produced a 7 1/4" or 7 1/2" ga engine. One of his highly detailed 1" locomotives appears in Frederick Shaw's 1958 " little Railways of the World " book, but so far the locomotive itself hasn't turned up. It would be great to know where it is!

Campbell was from the New York City And upstate NY area and was an active pioneer in live steam until his death in 1959. He was the first to produce and sell live steam castings for hobby gauge locomotives, and is mentioned in Frederick Shaw's Little Railways of the World book. In fact the book is dedicated Campbell.

I am seeking information about existence or location of the hundred or more steam locomotives he sold throughout his career. Reportedly the castings and locomotives were based on the famous New York Central Engine 999, the 4-4-0 American that set the world land speed record of 112 MPH on a 400 mile run from Buffalo to Batavia in March, 1894.

Any information, locations of trains, or pictures regarding Mr. Campbell , his engines or patterns would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,
Glenn Brooks
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....