Small Welding torch

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

pgilley

Re: Small Welding torch

Post by pgilley »

I have been using soap bubble concentrate for years to check for leaks. Found in kids toy departments at most stores.
chooch

Post by chooch »

OK. Why can`t you just turn on the tanks, torches OFF and dunk the torch in a bucket of plain ole` water?
chooch
dly31

Post by dly31 »

chooch wrote:OK. Why can`t you just turn on the tanks, torches OFF and dunk the torch in a bucket of plain ole` water?
chooch
Some, if not most, torch leaks are after the valves so they leak only when the valves are open.
Don Young
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

A bit off-topic...but not really....

For all who have a Victor torch, 300 series, as in the Journeyman & Deluxe Journeyman size (probably the most common set-up in North America)

The small o-ring is a AS568A-010, and the large is a -014. I took a look when I changed 'em this time.

I just changed mine in my cutting head. They didn't feel right when I put it back on the mixing chamber after a bit of pre-heating with a rose-bud. I took a look, and both were a bit flat, and I could see few cracks. Easy enough to feel when you tighten up the nut. Neither broke when I pulled 'em off with a pick, but neither up to snuff. Feels right now, with new o-rings.
I used buna-n (again) out of my big o-ring assortment. Buna-N is what I put in there the last time, and it's been over 15 years. I know I haven't changed 'em in that cutting head since I have lived in Nevada, and I got here in '99.

If you are picky, Viton would be better for the oxygen, but not a big deal....it's a static o-ring, and buna-n (nitrile) is OK.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.