Stainless Steel Sheet Metal Bending

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Stainless Steel Sheet Metal Bending

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

I want to make new drawer trim for a Snap On Tool box that I got for next to nothing. I am not interested in buying new trim from Snap On. What I want to do is make it out of polished mill finish stainless steel sheet metal. Here is a picture of the drawer with the aluminum trim clipped to it:

https://picasaweb.google.com/marty.esca ... 000ToolBox

Here is a sketch of what I would like to do:
https://picasaweb.google.com/marty.esca ... 6626427090

I would like is to bend the stainless to slip on to the drawer handle like shown in the picture, and then bend over the top horizontally toward the drawer an inch.

I have a 48" brake at my disposal and I can buy the sheet metal pre cut to length. What grade stainless is easiest to bend? How would you make the bend to slip on the drawer? I know going over the top edge of the drawer is a simple 90 degree bend.

Thanks in advance
Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
steamin10

Re: Stainless Steel Sheet Metal Bending

Post by steamin10 »

I think you will find this request more dificult to accomplish than meets the eye. A common leaf break will leave a small radias bend, that will not be suitable for what you are doing. The common brakes used for HVAC duct work and such only do well on thin metals, probably a lot lighter than what you would want to use, and that would make the rollback up front difficult to close. It will require a die press, with the appropriate dies to get a nice tight bend without much roll at the corner.

Not impossible, but a bit harder to find the appropriate equipment available. Some experimenting will be needed to get what you want.

I dont have any opinion on the SS grade, as I have never done any work with bending any, only duct work.

Thanks Dave,
I appreciate the input. Right now, I'm not sure I want to dedicate the time to a complete refurb....we'll see!
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.