Computer to machine communication software

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Beeks

Computer to machine communication software

Post by Beeks »

Hello everyone. I'm new here. I've had a CNC knee mill for about a year now. I purchased it from my employer. They had a EDM drilling head on it. It has a Dynapath control. So far I've done my programing on the machine. I use Esprit cam at work and I programed my name so I can sign my work. Now I just need to get the program to the machine. I think I know which cable I need to have for this. The software is what I have questions about. I expected to find some cheap outdate software to send the program with. I haven't found that yet. Everything has more bells and whistles than I want to pay for. I just want cheap outdate software that will send programs and can drip feed in case I need it someday. 18 years ago my employer had outdate software to do this job. I thought a program like that would be shareware by now. I wouldn't mind if it ran off DOS. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
ken572

Re: Computer to machine communication software

Post by ken572 »

Beeks,

Welcome To The Home Shop CNC Machining

It would be very helpful if you would put
your Worldly Location in your profile so
it will show up under your name and to the
left of all of your post's. :wink:

CNC OPEN SOURCE (LEGAL) FREEWARE 8)

http://www.freebyte.com/cad/cadcam.htm

and

http://cuteminds.com/index.php/en/cnc-software/freeware

Enjoy.

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
Beeks

Post by Beeks »

Thanks Ken. Although I didn't find what I was looking for, I did find CAD and CAM software for at home.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

Beeks wrote:Thanks Ken. Although I didn't find what I was looking for, I did find CAD and CAM software for at home.
Beeks,
Racine or Kenosha :?:

EDIT: Info.. http://dynapath.com/services.php

Ken :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Use Hyperterminal, it's part of Windows software.

All Programs: Accessories: Communications: Hyperterminal.

The Dymapath website has detailed instructions on how to set up communication to the machine using Hyperterminal.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

I use an old program called Crosstalk for Windows V1.1. It's basically a modem emulator program to send text messages from one computer to another through a com port. This allows me to communicate with my CNC through an RS 232 cable. I can write G-code programs with MS word and send them up to my machine and I can store programs from the machine as word text programs. I only have it (Crosstalk) on a 3 1/2" floppy and during my shop computer upgrade (to Windows XP) I had to raid an old parts computer for the drive. I am not sure that drip loading of programs is possible however, there are many settings that can be used. Thinking about how the program works, you may be able to use the RTS (return to send) to continually upload lines of text?
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
Beeks

Post by Beeks »

ken572 wrote: Racine or Kenosha :?:
Appleton, Not far from Green Bay

Thanks for the help! I will have to give HyperTerminal a try. I checked out that Dynapath link. I'm not sure if my control will run of the computer. It's either a model 10 or 20, and it says 10 isn't capable of drip feeding. Now I really hope it's a 20, but I doubt it.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I have a 10 that drip feeds. It was an option.

Dynapath doesn't call it drip feeding, but I can't remember right now what they do refer to it as.

There is a screen you can view on the controller that will disclose what options are installed and what codes are active. Can't remember how to access that right now either :oops:

I'll have to stand in front of the machine tomorrow...
Last edited by GlennW on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Beeks

Post by Beeks »

HyperTerminal is not on Windows 7, 8, or vista. I found this on http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windo ... rterminal/

HyperTerminal Alternatives

HyperTerminal Private Edition – This is a commercial terminal emulation program that you can use to communicate with serial COM ports, dial-up modems, and TCP/IP networks.

TeraTerm – TeraTerm is an open-source terminal emulator and SSH module that supports IPv6, SSH1, SSH2, Telnet, serial ports, and file transfer protocols (XMODEM, Kermit, ZMODEM, B-PLUS, etc).

Putty – Another free Telnet and SSH implementation for Windows. It also is an xterm terminal emulator. This is probably my favorite alternative to HyperTerminal.

I suspect that I'm not the first person to run into this. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with these programs?
Beeks

Post by Beeks »

Glenn Wegman wrote:I have a 10 that drip feeds. It was an option.
Awesome! That gives me Hope!
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

It's called "Buffered Input".
P5071044.JPG
Glenn

Beeks

Post by Beeks »

Thanks Glenn! I'll have to see if I can find that screen.