MicroKinetics

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

lpc

MicroKinetics

Post by lpc »

Curious about any opinions and reviews of the M/K equipment. Have thought for several years I'd like to have a lathe and mill to do some small home sized jobs like after work. Quality stuff? Problems? Ease of use?? Loren.
Rick

Post by Rick »

I have a system I inherited from work. It is one of their rack drive systems 3 axis driving a gantry mill (the mill is not Microkinetics). Hardware wise I have not had any problems at all with the Microkinetics components, the system is appox 10 years old. I only had their DOS based software and it was not the best in my opinion. I have not had any experience with the windows version. The big drawbacks to the dos version was file size limitation (about 45k, I run surfacing programs that are typically 4 to 20 meg in size) ,no cutter compensation ability and there is something in the arc logarithm that caused position errors. I talked to them about this and they said there wasn’t but I could prove it consistently on my machine. I have since switched to Flashcut CNC software and I love it. It handles everything I want it to and it is very easy to use and fully functioned. (No arc position errors with the same hardware) I bought the software and signal generator to run the Microkinetics hardware. Now keep in mind that the Flashcut software with the signal generator is much more expensive than the Microkinetics but in my opinion it is worth it

My $.02

Rick
gglines

Post by gglines »

I have one of their CNC Express Mill setups with MillMaster Pro for Windows software. I have found the company very good to work with. Each version of the software gets better and better and I am happy with it. Most of the parts I make are simple and I can write a G-code program faster than drawing it in CAD.

The only downside to the package is inherent in any Mill-Drill. You have to retram the head when moving the mill head up and down on the round post.

I've had no problems with several years of hobby useage.

George
MsChrissi

Re: MicroKinetics

Post by MsChrissi »

I use a Grizzly 12x36 gunsmith lathe with the Microkinetics 12x36 conversion, Microkinetics 6 position tool turret, Grizzly collet closer converted to pneumatic operation, bar puller mounted in the turret. Write the code and you have completely automated parts production, you sweep chips and pick up parts. I have had fantastic support from Microkinetics and the lathe and system have performed flawlessly for years.