Haas shows an e when running.

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Richard_W

Haas shows an e when running.

Post by Richard_W »

1997 Haas will show an e in the lower left corner of the screen. Then will add another moment later and keep doing that until you have a row of e across the bottom of the screen. Has anyone one else had this problem? The dealer said the processor was going bad. The machine continues to run, but now we have to open the back cabinet to cool so it just doesn't stop. I put a new air filter on the back of the cabinet to see if that made a difference. That didn't help. Never had it over heat before even on 95 degree days. Its an HL1 with AC servos. Dealer estimate $9,500.00 to fix. I just put a rebuilt ball screw on the Z axis last year.

Richard W.
NP317

Re: Haas shows an e when running.

Post by NP317 »

I would check all the high current connections in the controller box to make sure none are loose or corroded.
Bad connections can generate heat.
Check the simplest possible causes first.
RussN
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

It doesn't give an error code and I am not into the electronic side of CNC.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

This sometimes is caused by stuck key on the keyboard. And it doesn't have to be the the "e". As far as the heat problem, oil, coolant and oxidation buildup on semiconductor heat sinks are usually the problem. The only way to fix that, is to remove the heat sinks and clean them thoroughly. This is not a simple process, but it works. One of the other issues is bad filter capacitors in the servo drives. As they get leaky, they will generate heat, that is until they fail all together.

The price from Haas is probably for a new computer and the latest software.

Jim B
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

rrnut-2 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:26 pm
The price from Haas is probably for a new computer and the latest software.

Jim B
They were talking about a refurbished processor.

Richard W.