New Controller?

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

ctwo

New Controller?

Post by ctwo »

I was still running Mach3 on my Boss3 Bridgeport with the original stepper motors. Has always worked well enough for me, and I use the blue screens with probing feature.

That is until last week when the PC locked up and would never boot again, no POST and all supply voltages measure in spec.

I recall there was a full hardware/software solution that seemed reasonably priced, like from $100 up to around $500, but I do not recall what it was called and don't see it in the short list here. :?:
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
rrnut-2

Re: New Controller?

Post by rrnut-2 »

Are you looking to upgrade the CNC controller?

One that comes to mind is the Centroid Acorn, it works with stepper drives.

Jim B
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Hopefully soon I will be installing a Centroid Acorn on my cnc. I have spent a lot of time researching Mach3 vs. the Acorn and it seems like the Centroid has overall better support and is extremely reliable.
-Frank K.
Ianagos

Post by Ianagos »

Maybe Masai is what you are talking about?
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

It was the Centroid Acorn system that I was looking for. Reading more, I see it requires Windows 10. Somehow I thought it was a fully contained controller and would just need a monitor and HID. I also see it wont support my pendant - which I never got set up anyway.

I guess I'll have to read about Masa and LinuxCNC.

I don't really need new hardware but the many times I have already bought a Windows OS makes my stomach turn. At first it was fun, starting with a few versions of DOS, then upgrading to Windows 1-3, 95, 98, and then the horrendous ME, the fun was gone and it started going downhill quick with XP, 7, 8, and 10. I got to play plenty with NT and 2000 at work, and now it's all going to Win10 - even the corporate images are pushing the silly MS store and all that useless UI. Computers used to be tools to get work done rather than tools of exploitation.

Thanks for bridging my memory.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

ctwo wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:49 am It was the Centroid Acorn system that I was looking for. Reading more, I see it requires Windows 10. Somehow I thought it was a fully contained controller and would just need a monitor and HID. I also see it wont support my pendant - which I never got set up anyway.

I guess I'll have to read about Masa and LinuxCNC.

I don't really need new hardware but the many times I have already bought a Windows OS makes my stomach turn. At first it was fun, starting with a few versions of DOS, then upgrading to Windows 1-3, 95, 98, and then the horrendous ME, the fun was gone and it started going downhill quick with XP, 7, 8, and 10. I got to play plenty with NT and 2000 at work, and now it's all going to Win10 - even the corporate images are pushing the silly MS store and all that useless UI. Computers used to be tools to get work done rather than tools of exploitation.

Thanks for bridging my memory.
Switch to Linux. Try Ubuntu first, though you may eventually want to switch to Debian. By all means consider LinuxCNC for your machine.
Ianagos

Post by Ianagos »

Yes Mesa cards and Linux cnc is what I think I may do. Masso is another option a more integrated setup like the acorn but cheaper I think.
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Yes Acorn does require a Windows 10 PC. All technology needs upgrading over time, nothing lasts forever.
-Frank K.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I was explaining the situation to a friend and he asked, "can't you just turn the knobs?" :lol:
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

Just to update the thread, I found a Dell OptiPlex with WinXP. The driver test runs "excellent" up to 100kHz. This PC only runs the CNC with Mach3 and a few test runs worked just fine.

Now I'm going to install the old PCI parallel port card and try to configure the pendant again. I forgot what happened last time but I could not get it to work. And now I've already forgotten how to get the virtual pendant to show.