Sherline4400 G-coding

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

Kelligirl921

Sherline4400 G-coding

Post by Kelligirl921 »

My boyfriend bought a sherline 4400. We got someone to G-code the items we produce. It is a LinuxCNC program. Things were going along fine and I was able to get the cnc to turn the calls. Then all of a sudden the program got wonky and strarted messing up the way it was turning our calls. I went thru the beginning of the process and touched off the axis. I was told that turning off and then trying again that may be it would work. I turned it back on and suddenly the files i needed were gone!! I have searched all thru the computer and just cant find it. Any suggestions on where it may have disappeared to? Anyone know how to get the program written to start turning our calls again. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
FKreider

Re: Sherline4400 G-coding

Post by FKreider »

Hello, I see this is your first post here; first of all welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately its very hard to know where the files may have gone, would it be possible for the person who produced the G-code to re-send the files to you? They most likely still have them saved on their computer.

I would also suggest posting over at the LinuxCNC forums if you haven't already: https://forum.linuxcnc.org/

Lastly- I only dabble in CNC myself but I would download Fusion 360 (its free if you are hobbyist) and start learning to draw and run CAM programming yourselves. I am completely self taught via watching YouTube video tutorials and I highly recommend the program and I think you would probably pick it up quickly!

Best of luck!
-Frank K.
RET

Re: Sherline4400 G-coding

Post by RET »

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by "turning the calls."

I'm not sure how you are set up, but I would suggest that you have a dedicated computer that doesn't do anything but run your lathe or mill (I would recommend using Sherline's computer because for the beginner, its one less thing to worry about) and that you get EMC Version 6 (Ubuntu). Purchase and install their software on the computer to run by itself. If the computer is connected to a network when you do the install, the Linux software will automatically set itself up to talk to the existing network. Note: If you are using this installation for commercial purposes, it might be a good idea to have it as a stand alone machine with no network connection for the sake of security.

Whats on the disk consists of the complete Ubuntu operating system and all the Linux programs that you will need, both the lathe and mill (in both metric and inch versions). If down the road you completely mess up, you can always reinstall everything from the Sherline disk at any time. I would suggest that you make a G code directory for all your programs and store a spare copy of that directory somewhere away from the shop computer. I have my backup on a Winows7 machine which is on the same network as the shop machine.
Note: Do not try to upgrade the operating system to the latest version, because that will remove the files you need to run the lathe or mill programs.

I have been using a turnkey Sherline milling machine since about 2002 and writing my own "G" code programs for it. Writing your own code isn't hard unless you are doing something really complicated like the number plate on our "Big Boy."

About 2013, I decided I wanted something bigger and heavier, so I made my own CNC mill. It was expensive ($2,500.00 CDN per axis) and took a while but it is a much better machine (more powerful and more accurate with twice the travel in all 3 directions). I used my Bridgeport vertical mill with a Sony 3 axis readout to make the new machine. Because I used 1" dia. Thomson shafts with support rails and machine tool quality ball screws, I was able to use the same steppers on the new machine so the computer doesn't know the difference.

Go on the internet and download "User Manual V2.4, The EMC Team, October 26, 2011." This manual will tell you everything you need to know about the EMC version of CNC which Sherline uses and how to write programs (for instance, start and end each one with the % sign). Start off with simple ones, but you will find as you go on, its amazing what you can do with CNC and even Sherline CNC. The Sherline mill software has a very user friendly front end that helps a lot in both debugging and in operation. You will find that things that are very difficult or impossible to do with conventional machining are easy with CNC. For instance, cutting a large radius curve conventionally is very difficult, but with the "G" code, it just does it!

To get some idea of what is possible, go to chaski.org (where you are now) then select "Live Steam." Look for "Union Pacific Big Boy in 3 1/2" Gauge." You will likely find it on the third or maybe the fourth page by now. Don & I have been working on this locomotive since about 2006 and we didn't start it, we took it over from the original builder after he died.

This should be enough for a start. Welcome to the wonderful world of CNC.

Richard Trounce.