Sherline CNC control problem

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

DanWalker

Sherline CNC control problem

Post by DanWalker »

When running code, sometimes my Sherline CNC mill will go off on it's own. At random, the machine will change speed and direction and take off across the work, breaking the cutter. This isn't the code because I run the same code multiple times to make duplicate parts. I can't figure out if it's the PC, the Linux operating system, the parallel interface, cables, etc. The power is filtered through a UPS, so I don't think it is a power glitch.

Anyone have the same problem? My system is several years old, and I guess I should try to upgrade the software.
NP317

Re: Sherline CNC control problem

Post by NP317 »

I would first check all cable connections, especially any that move.
Assuming your problem is a recent development, motion-induced contact problems would be first on my list for trouble-shootung.
~RN
DanWalker

Post by DanWalker »

My system is old and mounted on a cart. I just finished disassembling, cleaning the contacts, and rerouting all the cables in straight lines so there are no cord tangles. I ran a complicated piece of code for two hours without cutting anything, and the machine homed properly afterwards.
We'll see what happens.
Dan
RET

Post by RET »

Hi Dan,

I bought a turnkey Sherline CNC mill more than 10 years ago. The only thing I had to supply was a monitor. It was a very good value for the money, but it was a little small and light for what I wanted to do. I used it up until a few years ago, and then I built a bigger, heavier version using 1" Thomson shafts and 5/8" ground ball screws. X travel is 16", Y travel is 9" and Z travel is 8." I used the same stepper motors so the computer doesn't know the difference.

In all the time I have used the system, I have never experienced what you are talking about, but then I've always set things up so there is no strain on the stepper cables or any of the other connections. I don't really know what would cause the behaviour you have experienced. My system is mounted on a desktop, even the new unit which has to weigh at least 200 pounds.
Original machine making a locomotive number plate
Original machine making a locomotive number plate
The above picture is of the original Sherline machine, the next shows the "new' version but without the added tubular column stiffeners.
The "New" machine
The "New" machine
Sorry, but this picture of the "new" machine actually shows the old "Z" axis before the new ball screw version was in place.
3D drawing of one of the parts
3D drawing of one of the parts
I'm quite pleased with the Sherline system, especially after I made the new machine.

This might help some.

Richard Trounce.