Tormach owners

This forum is dedicated to those Hobbyists Interested in CNC machining & 3D Printing in their home shops. (Digital Read Outs are also topical, as is CAD/CAM as it relates to CNC)

Moderator: Harold_V

WJH

Re: Tormach owners

Post by WJH »

chrismunn wrote:Thanks guys!

I actually started considering machining and CNC from watching John Saunders at NYCCNC.

I would love to check out your machine in person MDM but I moved out to Texas from the Bay Area about 10 years ago, tho i do have some family down in SD.

At this point I did acquire a few manual machines and I've been teaching myself Fusion360 which is a lot of fun! I was able to participate in a few Houston Tx machine auctions and ended up with a Southbend 9a lathe, Kent 3vk bridgeport clone, an 8" shaper, a old vertical bandsaw and a floor drill press. I'm slowly plugging away at learning and seem to trip up on the easy stuff. Definitely a good idea to try my hand on these manual machines before going with CNC. Having never touched a machine before I had no idea of anything and definitely would have exploded my CNC in a hurry! Wish I would have gotten a bigger lathe because this one is a bit small for some of the projects I've been wanting to work on but I'll get by.

Still hoping to get a Tormach one day but after blowing thru all kinds of money on the current shop, it likely won't be for several years more now?
I'd wait a bit, apparently Tormach's quality control is going down the toilet with their banana shaped gibbs. I want CNC, but no longer trust Tormach
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I recently read a report of this on the CNC Zone - with video that the X-Y was ~ 0.003" out of square over ~6".
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Mid Day Machining

Post by Mid Day Machining »

I saw that same report and I think the issue was how the guy was holding the part. I made a couple of suggestions and was told my the guy who put up the original post to butt out.

Apparently he didn't think I knew what I was talking about. Maybe I don't. After all, I've only been doing this since I was 15 years old.. I'm 72 now.

My Tormach PCNC 1100 is 5 years old and it is dead nuts square. and I run it a lot.
You can buy good parts, or you can buy cheap parts, but you can't buy good cheap parts.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I don't understand why the guy would not just re-do the measurement to prove if that matters or not. The arguing over it is really just a distraction to him resolving the real issue.

For the benefit of the others, the guy clamped a granite triangle square in his Kurt vise with the long edge against the movable jaw and the opposite point (very short edge actually) against the fixed jaw. Some say that is an invalid way to fix the square because the moveable jaw will cock the square.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-W98 ... 5-1280.mp4

I'm interested in the topic because my RF-30 has a bit of out-of-squareness in X-Y, which I've contemplated some sort of intervention here and there...
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

For starters, get rid of the vise and place the triangle on the table, and lightly clamp it down if you must.

You don't even need a granite square.

Clamp some stock to the table and make a cut along X and Y. Flip it over and then sweep it like he shows.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

I like your method because it multiplies the error.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Exactly.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Contract_Pilot

Post by Contract_Pilot »

I picked up a used Tormach 1100 last month after about a year of looking for one in the local area. Then I had to remodel my Cubby hole to a full size garage. Garage was converted 20 years ago to living space except for a 9'X20' Area. Now it is 25'X20' so Family out VMC In..

Images are to big and will not let me use standard BB code for Resize
Before: http://www.stevenrhine.com/wp-content/u ... 4x768.jpeg
Demolition: http://www.stevenrhine.com/wp-content/u ... 4x768.jpeg
Almost Complete: http://www.stevenrhine.com/wp-content/u ... 4x768.jpeg
Comstock-Friend

Post by Comstock-Friend »

A new PCNC 1100 is coming to live with me. Garage already has BP J head, Index 55 vertical mill, 13" SB lathe, Enco 12x40 lathe, small Diamond horizontal bench top mill, 7" SB shaper, Delta 14" bandsaw, scroll saw, 6x48 belt sander, and roll around carts and cabinets. Space is at a premium in my 2 car! (Not to mention the BP M head and another SB 13" on their way out!)

Can the Tormach go in the corner with the right side up against a wall??? I'm getting the standard splash walls, not the complete cabinet. Do I need access from the right side???

John
chief

Post by chief »

Hi John,
If by standard splash walls, you mean what Tormach calls the "deluxe stand", then yes, it can go against the wall. The power switch and a couple of aux plugs are on that end, but they are 8 or 9 inches inside the stand. There is a small sheet metal panel covered opening in the stand on that side, but I'm not actually sure why you would want to go through it.

Also on the right side of the stand is a compartment that is intended for the controller pc. It's about 19 inches from the right edge of the splash wall, so it's doable, but would be a tight squeeze. I personally don't keep my controller in there, I prefer to have it outside the stand, for access and air flow reasons.

If you don't get the deluxe stand, then the power switch and plugs would be up against the wall, and you would need to leave room to get to them.

Good Luck
Terry
Comstock-Friend

Post by Comstock-Friend »

Thanks Terry,
Yes, I believe it is the "Deluxe CNC Mill Stand" (not the full enclosure). Photos don't show the arm holding the monitor and keyboard much outside of the envelope. I'll leave a little space, but not much.

Also concerned about the Y axis motor, seems to stick about 6 inches all by itself out the back. I do have the garage floor curb the walls are bolted to, that prevents any legs banging up against the wall so maybe good in this case.

John
chief

Post by chief »

John,
Yes the Y motor does stick out, actually, about 8 inches, from the stand. So you do need to leave it proud of the wall a bit, but not totally a bad thing, there is a panel on the back for access to some plugs and such, so having it away from the wall helps to get into that.

Terry