Alcalde & Coalfield High Line

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

LVRR2095

Re: Alcalde & Coalfield High Line

Post by LVRR2095 »

Are there any pictures of the other locomotives and their owners?
Andy R

more photos of Alcalde & Coalfield High Line

Post by Andy R »

OK, Keith, Here's a few more photos. We were too busy flapping gums (jawboning) and boiling water to take a lot.
One is John McKnight running his steel-boiler Raritan.
The other is Les Bernell steaming up his PRR 0-4-0. Les also steamed his Pacific.
There's about 300 ft. of RR in-service, so end-to end running was the order of the day(s).
My Heisler was able to climb the 1.5% grades on as little as40psi. Running to build up steam rather than sitting using the blower was the cat's meow.
Both Jack and Mike Getscher got to run the Heisler but Mike's run was shortened by a balky hand pump - now in my shop.
Attachments
IMG_3989.jpg
IMG_3991.jpg
Andy R

Alcalde & Coalfield High Line Steaming Bay

Post by Andy R »

Keith,
This is a photo taken by Mike Getscher when we were just arriving and unloading on Friday.
It shows some really thoughtful items in Jack's steaming bay:
(1) track high enough to work on and under the locos.
(2) air hoses at alternate bays - one for each side so no sharing was needed.
(3) water hoses at alternate bays - one for each side so no sharing was needed.
(4) six wooden stools for us to sit on. There were times when 3 were clustered around a loco being serviced.
(5) brick working area - solid, clean, stable underfoot and nothing lost in the dirt.

Before and after Saturday's dinner Jack showed a slideshow about LALS narrated by the late Doug Alkire.
And more Kudos to Jack for his hospitality, and to his neighbors and their friends who contributed potluck goodies for the meals.
Attachments
Jacks steaming bay.jpg
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Thanks Andy!
It looks like a fine time was had by all.

Keith
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thanks Andy for the compliments, and for posting photos and descriptions. It was really a treat to have so many friends here, and most of the steaming bays sporting locomotives. We were also fortunate to have a couple beautiful fall days. It was in the seventies, and this time of year you can have just about any kind of weather. Here are some more snappies. Top photo, just getting going in the morning, too much fun. Then Jim and Mike look on as Les fires up his Kozo A3. A tiny tea kettle smokes it up. The little Invicta put on a pretty good show until the axle pump quit. And the last two are Andy having a go with his Heisler, which was the most successful run of the day. I was really delighted to see my little railway coming to life with good friends and tiny locomotives, and the main line isn't even finished yet. Get er' done!
See you in the funny pages...
Jack
Attachments
Sat.1.jpg
Sat.2.jpg
Sat3.jpg
Sat.4.jpg
Sat.5.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Jack:
Great to see your railroad doing what it was designed to do: Gather Friends and Trains.
Fun to see pics of YOU, too!
Well done.
RussN
optigman

Post by optigman »

Not only is Jack an incredible one of a kind Artist / Craftsman. He is one hell of a host and gourmet cook as well. Those who stayed into the evening were treated to BBQ chicken breast, Beef & Chicken Enchiladas, Ambrosia salad and other tasty offerings. After the meal the historic slideshow of Los Angeles Live Steamers was continued with narration by Doug Alkire. The Railroad is far more stunning in person than the pictures show. The clear air and wonderful views perfectly complimented the company present at Alcalde & Colefield High Line.!
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Beautiful, Jack. Motivation for me to keep going on my projects. Would like to visit your track one day.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Hi Mike, you are welcome to visit anytime, too bad you are so far away. I got very motivated too. I have been moving dirt fine tuning the fills and watering and compacting with the tractor. Actually the mountain division fill needs a lot more than fine tuning, it's about 18" low for a good stretch. A tractor is a handy little trinket to have laying around.
Jack
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Awesome to see 3.5" gauge action on the west coast!

I would love to see close up shots of that Raritan with the steel boiler!
-Frank K.
mikeyg

Post by mikeyg »

FKreider, here is the one image I have from the meet at Jacks.

John's Raritan has a very cool profile and an awesome wooden cab. You can see it in the rear on the steaming bay.

He's working through some issues with the safeties now. They're lifting water out of the boiler when they lift.
Attachments
JM Raritan
JM Raritan
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Interesting boiler for a Raritan. I like the styling cues, somewhat similar to what I am planning on doing with mine.

Thanks for the pic!
-Frank K.