Back to work on the 3/4" Docksider

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

JohnHudak

Back to work on the 3/4" Docksider

Post by JohnHudak »

I'm finally back to work on the 3/4" B&O C-16 "Docksider", and I've finished up the cylinder center section, and the smokebox. Here's some pics..
The center section was cut from a 2 1/2" square solid chunk of brass, with a piece of 1/8" copper formed to the smokebox.
I used my boring head to cut the 2" Radius, and it's pretty easy to set the correct measurement using a height gauge.
John
Attachments
DSCN0890.JPG
DSCN0891.JPG
DSCN0894.JPG
Bill C

Re: Back to work on the 3/4" Docksider

Post by Bill C »

John, that is some beautiful work! Thanks for taking the time to share your photos with us.

Bill C.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

3/4" IS a lot of fun...isn't it?

looks good...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Looking good John!

Andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hi John

The docksider looks great, but what happened to the B&A tanker? The work you did on the tanker was magnificent! I was hoping to see more.
Jack
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

John still has the Tanker. At one point he was working on it one month and the Dockside the next..

Andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Thanks everyone for all the nice words.. Jack, Andy's right, the tanker is sitting in it's crate waiting for me to retire (about two more years) once that happens, it will be finished..
John
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

I hope that solid block works for you. I made a G-scale steamer with a hunk of aluminum for a cradle; the steam passages were drilled into it. All that ever came out was water, all that metal sucked out all the heat! One WAG suggested building a fire under both ends of the boiler!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I know what you mean..

I have a 3/4" hudson that has everything - cradle, cylinders, etc as a solid block of steel, welded up, and it works OK.

It is a little cold-blooded and spits for a few 100' when first going, but that is what I found cylinder cocks to be good for.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
whitey

Post by whitey »

Bill I agree 3/4 can be fun. I as a complete novice really enjoy these 3/4 scale builds. And wish there was many more of them. as IMO I believe there would be many more getting into the hobby. As most home shops don't have the big equipment or maybe the funds to just start with the big trains.
The only BIG draw back to the 3/4's is unless you live in the right place or are willing to travel sometimes hundreds of miles. There are no tracks to run them on. But some of us look at them as a work of art.and personally I like trains better than pictures. :) It's not that I don't also enjoy the other builds because I do and learn something from all of them. It's just a little disappointing to think
we might be missing people that could be interested to getting started. But do to lack of information on building smaller scale they never do.JMO worth nothing :) whitey
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

John,

Looking good John!

Why wait on the tanker? Parts is parts no?

Hope you are coming to the new Cabin(should be Spring) Fever.

Paul
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Sandiapaul wrote:John,

Looking good John!

Why wait on the tanker? Parts is parts no?

Hope you are coming to the new Cabin(should be Spring) Fever.

Paul
Yeah....I hope so, too....

Andy