LBSC Virginia plans

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

DanWalker

LBSC Virginia plans

Post by DanWalker »

I'm thinking of buying the Virginia plans from http://www.modelmakingsupplies.co.uk.
Anyone else have experience with this vendor?

Thanks!
locomotiveps4

Re: LBSC Virginia plans

Post by locomotiveps4 »

I have no experiance with this vender. LBSC published a very good book on this engines build and I would highly recemend this along with the plans. Stev
DanWalker

Post by DanWalker »

I have the book, and it is very good. I'd still like to have the full size plans.
Do you know somewhere else I could buy them?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

DanWalker wrote:I have the book, and it is very good. I'd still like to have the full size plans.
Do you know somewhere else I could buy them?
One word about the book - the pages will start to fall out of it as soon as you start to use it - go to Staples and for about $10, they can cut off the binding, laminate the front and back covers, drill holes and install a plastic spiral binding (not the clamshell binding, but one like a metal wire bound notebook, only plastic).

I took my book, scanned in all the drawings and printed them, just so that I'd have them in a larger size. Put them into a 3-ring binder in plastic pages to keep them clean. They aren't to scale, but they are easy to read.

In answer to your original question, I have an extra copy I'll sell you cheap. Send me a PM.

Nice to see another Virginia!

Steve
super7b

Post by super7b »

www.modelmakingsupplies.co.uk.

This is a long time, well established and respected outfit, you will have no problems using them.

Lawrence
Steamingdanny

Post by Steamingdanny »

AJ Reeves?
DanWalker

Post by DanWalker »

SteveM wrote: One word about the book - the pages will start to fall out of it as soon as you start to use it -
Yeah, happened to me too. I just pulled off all the pages and scanned them in.
DanWalker

Post by DanWalker »

Thanks for the input, guys.
I just ordered the small boiler plans via PayPal.
DanWalker

Post by DanWalker »

SteveM wrote:
Steve
Well, it may be awhile before there is another Virginia, but at least I'll have the book and the plans!
I could build from the drawings in the book, but my eyes need the larger drawings.

I'm building a Kozo original shay for G gauge track ("F" scale). The Virginia for 3.5" gauge may be next.
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Another vendor in UK is Blackgates. I have delt with them a couple of times and they are nice people - a family business. I don't know off hand if they have plans for Virginia but it would be worth a try. Reeves at one time sold the castings kit and plans. Under the current owners - I don't know if that specific loco is still in there stock. Cary
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

DanWalker wrote:
SteveM wrote:
Steve
Well, it may be awhile before there is another Virginia, but at least I'll have the book and the plans!
I could build from the drawings in the book, but my eyes need the larger drawings.
I also have a spare set of frame rails. They appear to be bronze.
Cary Stewart wrote:Another vendor in UK is Blackgates. I have delt with them a couple of times and they are nice people - a family business. I don't know off hand if they have plans for Virginia but it would be worth a try. Reeves at one time sold the castings kit and plans. Under the current owners - I don't know if that specific loco is still in there stock. Cary
Blackgates shows the Virginia on their locomotives page, but not on their plans page.

GLR has them:
http://www.modelmakingsupplies.co.uk/

as does A.J. Reeves:
http://www.ajreeves.com/

and E & J Winter:
http://www.ejwinter.com.au

There was one more supplier in Canada, but he doesn't have a web site, so I don't have a bookmark.

I think that's all the suppliers that carry them.

Steve
Andy R

Post by Andy R »

Dan,
I have a small-boiler version that was built by my father, and am finishing up the large-boiler version.
I have two sets of plans, both of which are nearly illegible. I spent a lot of time transcribing dimensions from the falling-apart (now in 3-ring binders) book, and find myself working from the book.
If you have any questions regarding building it please feel free to PM me.
Regards,
Andy