LBSC Virginia plans

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

milwiron

Re: LBSC Virginia plans

Post by milwiron »

A typical homeowner's MAP torch on a 14 oz. bottle will heat up a piece of 1/8 x 5/8" mild steel hot enough (dull red) to bend easily. Unfortunately, since you were trying to bend mystery-metal all bets are off. We've all been there at one time or another.

Online Metal Supply, Coremark and Speedy Metals are 3 of many online sources to get steel to correct specs. Their prices are fair but shipping has gotten high the past few years.

You may want to try and make friends with a local shop and offer to buy their shorts and drops. They may just give you scrap if you're not a PITA and they'll be able to tell you what you're getting. If you can develop a relationship with a local shop dropping off donuts or breakfast sandwiches on occasion and not hanging around will go a long ways. A quick phone call first to the shop is always a good idea, ya never know what they may be going through.
Denny
"Measure twice, curse once."
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Child:
I have no single answer to your questions about mill cutter size and position. Those all depend on several variables.
I DO tend to keep the cutter off centerline to reduce sideways vibration. Again: variables.
RussN
shild

Post by shild »

milwiron wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:09 am A typical homeowner's MAP torch on a 14 oz. bottle will heat up a piece of 1/8 x 5/8" mild steel hot enough (dull red) to bend easily. Unfortunately, since you were trying to bend mystery-metal all bets are off. We've all been there at one time or another.

Online Metal Supply, Coremark and Speedy Metals are 3 of many online sources to get steel to correct specs. Their prices are fair but shipping has gotten high the past few years.

You may want to try and make friends with a local shop and offer to buy their shorts and drops. They may just give you scrap if you're not a PITA and they'll be able to tell you what you're getting. If you can develop a relationship with a local shop dropping off donuts or breakfast sandwiches on occasion and not hanging around will go a long ways. A quick phone call first to the shop is always a good idea, ya never know what they may be going through.
Denny
Well I'm expecting I'm going to have to pay for the really oddball pieces like the 4 1/2" or 3 1/2" copper tube for the boiler. But 1/8" thick steel? Or sheet metal? I'm not paying for that, I can recycle what I already own into that. Now that we know that piece I was cutting is hard to cut and bend, doesn't that make it good for a valve gear part because it won't wear to an egg shape so easily?
milwiron

Post by milwiron »

Hi shild,
Buying mild 1/8" steel bar is nickels and dimes compared to copper tube. Buy some of the steel stock you're going to need in the future to justify shipping. Many of the online dealers who sell in small quantities have warehouses across the country; there may be one near you so you can avoid any shipping costs. You can also look for a steel yard near you that'll sell in small quantities but they're getting hard to find.

Won't bend cold and is hard to cut might make for a good lawn mower blade...
not a real suggestion. 😉
For making the varied parts in valve gear I prefer to be more alloy specific. I suggest you do the same and use mystery metal with hesitation for anything important.
Happy Holidays,
Denny
"Measure twice, curse once."
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I went online and ordered a collection of shapes/sizes in brass, mild steel, tool steels, and more. 36" lengths.
Total shipment including freight was about $250. I've been building off that for quite a few years now, while getting additional specific supplies as needed.

Critical items like valve gear are best made from annealed tool steel, and hardened/tempered post-machining.
RussN