Subject matter --------PLEASE READ--------

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Subject matter --------PLEASE READ--------

Post by Harold_V »

neanderman wrote:Hear, hear. Thanks for all you do, Harold.
It is my pleasure, especially when I find I'm helping someone in need. Thanks, Ed.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
hobbysteam

Post by hobbysteam »

Guidance requested here! I am new to the forum and I just posted the "Scaling Drivers" question, under a new topic! Tell me, did I do that right or should I have put that somewhere else? If so, can I remove it and post it where it "belongs" at this point? In the future, which is the best way to find the appropriate heading to put it under?
Thanks!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

hobbysteam wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:40 pm Guidance requested here! I am new to the forum and I just posted the "Scaling Drivers" question, under a new topic! Tell me, did I do that right or should I have put that somewhere else?
Looks fine to me. The subject often overlaps, so placing your post(s) can be acceptable in more than one forum. Do note that we do not allow multiple identical posts, however, so choose one and go with it.
If so, can I remove it and post it where it "belongs" at this point?
Depends. If no one has responded to a post, and time to edit hasn't elapsed, yeah, you may be able to do that, but the best policy is to ask help from a moderator if you need a post changed. We discourage deleting posts, as that tends to destroy a thread, although not always. It is for that reason editing time is limited, as we've had issues with one reader deleting posts, often long after they were posted.
In the future, which is the best way to find the appropriate heading to put it under?
Sort of a judgment call. As I said, there often is overlap, so pick the forum you feel provides the required exposure. Some readers don't check the entire board, while others read every post. If your question relates to operation of a lathe, for example, but your interest is in steam, you may ask a question in the Lathe forum, where those with interest in lathe work might see it when they may not see it in the Live Steam fora. As I said, a judgment call. You won't get chastised* for choosing the "wrong" one, although if it is better suited in a different forum, it might get moved by administration or a moderator. We don't lose a lot of sleep over such matters on this board.

*Note that we discourage bad behavior on this board. Readers are not free to take shots at other readers. We try to keep things polite.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
hobbysteam

Post by hobbysteam »

Thanks for the explanations Harold, I will take note of the points you make and I will just leave my post where it is and search well before I post again. As to the dialogue "behavior" I do my best, on any of the sites, to just bite my tongue even though it isn't always easy! :-)
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

hobbysteam wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:11 pm As to the dialogue "behavior" I do my best, on any of the sites, to just bite my tongue even though it isn't always easy! :-)
Man, you said it. There's times (even on this board) when I'd like to unload on a guy who has way too much to say, but I, like you, bite my tongue. I have to lead by example, which I try hard to do. Doesn't mean I don't have opinions and want to strike out at others---but I know better. Some of them could really use a good thrashing, too! :lol:

H
hobobill1958

Post by hobobill1958 »

Hello! Which forum would be appropriate to share a post seeking historical information and current status regarding a 7.5" gauge live steam Hudson that I saw a number of times in the 1960's and 70's in the Atlanta area?
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

hobobill1958 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:43 pm Hello! Which forum would be appropriate to share a post seeking historical information and current status regarding a 7.5" gauge live steam Hudson that I saw a number of times in the 1960's and 70's in the Atlanta area?
Given your description, I'd suggest the Live Steam Forum, first one on the list.
We (I) don't get too excited if a post is in the wrong place. It still gets read by most folks, but if you hope to get maximum exposure, selecting the proper venue for any post is a good idea. If, by chance, you don't do that, we won't send out the post cops. :lol:

H
Leonmar

Post by Leonmar »

Hi Guys, I'm new to this post and have a steam engine and just bought a Moon Steam Turbine built in Chicago by Moon Manufacturing, is this the right post to find out if anyone has information on this company? I have searched google and only found a picture of an old advertisement Moon trying to sell turbine ???

Leon
Leonmar

Post by Leonmar »

Would like information on a steam turbine generator made by Moon Ser# 2753 32 volt 30 amp
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I recommend posting this query in the Live Steam section, with your question as subject title.
RussN