Off Topic. I think I am being scammed.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

ehulshiz

Off Topic. I think I am being scammed.

Post by ehulshiz »

I just sold a motorcycle on ebay, and the guy who won it is in Germany. He says he will send his agent to pick up the bike next week and will pay in cash. I responded to his message by telling him that I will accept no form of payment except Cash. No check, no credit card, no money order. Nothing but U.S. Dollars in the form of greenbacks. Cash only. ( A little over $1,000.00 ) I'll let you know how he responds to that.
I don't see how I can get burned if he picks it up somewhere besides my house, and pays in hard cash. I invite your comments on this.
FredR

Re: Off Topic. I think I am being scammed.

Post by FredR »

I just sold a motorcycle on ebay, and the guy who won it is in Germany. He says he will send his agent to pick up the bike next week and will pay in cash. I responded to his message by telling him that I will accept no form of payment except Cash. No check, no credit card, no money order. Nothing but U.S. Dollars in the form of greenbacks. Cash only. ( A little over $1,000.00 ) I'll let you know how he responds to that.
I don't see how I can get burned if he picks it up somewhere besides my house, and pays in hard cash. I invite your comments on this.

Better get you one of those pens that detect fake bills too. They are conterfiting the new bills as well as the old ones.

Fred
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Ed, this is not the right place to stick in my experience yesterday, but I will do so anyway so everyone can be on guard. I received a notice from "Citibank®" (I got a similar one three weeks ago from USBank®)saying my records were all screwed up and that they needed my account number etc etc. Probably our Nigerian money man hard at work using a whole new tactic to part people from their money and I am sure some gullible people will fall for the scam. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/frown.gif"%20alt="[/img] This time he is using better syntax so he must have got himself a book of English idioms instead of just a Nigerian/English dictionary, but he still used one word in a context that we would never have used it.

Keep us informed on the money exchange for the bike and if it does actually arrive, examine those ten $100.00 bills very carefully.

Unka(*I am still waiting for that 5 million dollars I am supposed to get from his other offer on transferring money out of Nigeria! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/crazy.gif"%20alt="[/img])Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
willjordan

Post by willjordan »

I got one of the USBank ones last week as well. Funny, since I closed my account 10 months ago.
grace & peace
will

[url=http://willjordan.com]Will's Web Pages[/url]
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Ferd, I think an ultraviolet light will work also and of course there is that little ribbon embedded inside the bill to look for too.

Unka(Fortunately (?) I don't get many bills larger than 5 dollars in my hands. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/crazy.gif"%20alt="[/img])Jesse
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Ed,
You might want to consider writing the buyer and tell him to provide payment in the form of a Money Order, Cashier's Check or Postal Money Order. That way, you get negotiable paper and any hard currency problems belong to someone else. Just a thought....cb
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Steampipe

Post by Steampipe »

BTW-- Watch out for those $200 bills with a pic of George W. There're really NOT REAL money ya know.. Though some poor sap tried to pass one off as a joke at a store. Got himself arrested after the store clerk accepted it.
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

When I was in Uncle's army back in 1952, there was a guy who had a one dollar bill that he had done with only a sharp pencil. Only did the face, but in dim light he could have passed it. I have wondered what he did for a living after he got mustered out!

Unka(I have a three dollar bill, s'trewth it is and it is a real one from 1862)Jesse
mrb37211

Post by mrb37211 »

I got one of the USBank ones last week as well. Funny, since I closed my account 10 months ago.

Maybe that is why their information is out of date, Will . . . [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/crazy.gif"%20alt="[/img] Charles
Dan Willey

Post by Dan Willey »

Ed... you could also meet the guy at your bank and have your bank take the money ..... either by inspecting the cash... or by issuing the buyer a Cashier's check payably to you. This will at least get a bank involved in determining if the cash is good or not.
1/8 scale: Mercer Locomotive K4, Saturated Steam E6
Full scale: Woodings CBL speeder/motorcar NARCOA
Phill

Post by Phill »

Are forgeries (of bank notes etc) such a problem over there in the US? I will freely admit that I am very naive in this area, so I am very curious.
What a sad existance some people must have, if they only exist in a world of lies and deception.

Cheers,

Phill.
He who dies with the most toys, does not win!
He who dies with the most used and loved toys, wins.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Let's leave our political system and corporate American execs out of this one. LOL (sadly)...cb
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!