A New Project Lok for Unka Jesse?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Allen

A New Project Lok for Unka Jesse?

Post by Allen »

Found this pic on another board, IMO it kinda begs to be modeled. (I bet a Mamod could work in Gauge 1)

The boiler and engine appear to be from a Peerless (Geiser Mfg Co Waynesboro, Pa) traction engine. Pic was taken somewhere in W. Va.
UnkaJesse

Re: A New Project Lok for Unka Jesse?

Post by UnkaJesse »

Allen, you probably right in that the weird logger was once a traction engine. Don't know about it being a Peerless as the one I have has raised lettering on the smokebox door. Seems like it says "Peerless" and also "Geiser Mfg. Co." but it is stored out at my son-in-law's farm and I can't remember just what the door looks like.

Those drive chains are not exactly high tec stuff are they? They look like the chain used in peckerwood sawmills as dust chain.

Unka(I done told you blokes, NO MORE LOKIES for this old goat. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/tongue.gif"%20alt="[/img])Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
Tel

Post by Tel »

G'wan Unk - it'll get the better of yer, ya know it.

I'm tempted meself, if for no other reason than to prove I can turn a perfectly acceptable set of wheels using only a 12" steel ruler & a straightened out paper clip (and a lathe, of course)
Tel
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

TEL, now that you have throwed a steel scale into the mix did you know that you can use two of them like a slide rule to add all them funny fractions of an inch we still use over here in the USA? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka(They tried to ram that metric stuff down our throats, but we found a better place to stick it in the advocates bodies. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img])Jesse
Tel

Post by Tel »

Yeah, I did know that Unk - fact I work with them that 'funny fractions' quite a lot of the time - metric has been in over here for over 20 years, but it still ain't fully taken over.

TEL (who can work either system while standin' on 'is 'ead whistlin' Darktown Strutters Ball)
Tel
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

At least, you have a good taste in music!! LOL!
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
alanstepney

Post by alanstepney »

I was just wondering what todays safety officer would have to say about the scene in that picture.
http://www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering, Steam and workshop pages.
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

TEL, you mean the Metric Mafia is havin' trouble convincing all you blokes down there that it is the only way to go? I saw an argument in one of my older machinists books concerning the fact that it is hard with metric crap to reduce something by 1/2 or in the case of our toy trains, 1/8th. 'Zackly what do you do in a case like that?

Unka(Just curious, but you already know for a fact that I am curious [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smirk.gif"%20alt="[/img])Jesse
Tel

Post by Tel »

Not really hard Unk - you can work to any scale you like, regardless of the system - f'rinstance your 1/8th scale comes out at 125mm = 1m, wos 'ard about that?

As the metre, for most common purposes, is divided into 1000 millimetres, and the millimetre can be further divided into 1000 parts, the base for calculations is no different to the 1000 thou in an inch.

That said, 99.9% of my modelling is done in imperial measurement, using BA bolts & screws & the 26, 32 & 40 TPI ME threads for 'plumbing' - well the 26tpi is actully BSB, but for all intents & purposes it is the same as ME

The one metric thing I do like & use regularly is the 0.1mm series drills, a consistent close-enough-to-4thou series of steps from tiny to quite large. Beats the old number drill system hollow, tho I have them as well - from no.1 down to no.80
Tel
Tel

Post by Tel »

I was just wondering what todays safety officer would have to say about the scene in that picture.

Or the OH&S man AJ -not one of them blokes is wearing hearing protection.

I just luurve that track tho'
Tel
willjordan

Post by willjordan »

At a club auction, I picked up a 16" dial caliper(would you believe 40cm) for 5.00 simply because it's metric. I use it for things like wheel back-to-back measurement and rough wheel diameter. I have a calculator that lives on my lathe headstock and it's easy enough to convert from English to Metric and back.

(Note to Harold: I know it isn't a micrometer, but sometimes there is a place in measurement for a dial caliper.)

BTW, whe the UK was converting to a decimal currency system some years ago, one English gentleman(?) when asked about the decimal system said, "I God had wanted us to use a decimal system, there only would have been 10 apostles."
grace & peace
will

[url=http://willjordan.com]Will's Web Pages[/url]
dampfwilli

Post by dampfwilli »

Alan, nothing! The safety officers have a infarct before she can say a word!
Have Fun
dampfwilli

You must not be crazy to play with steam, but it helps.