small scale sawmill

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Neil carney

small scale sawmill

Post by Neil carney »

Hi,

Would someone have any pictures of a small scale live steam sawmill...actually any small scale sawmill,,,,even pictures of a static displayed small sawmill.. ..

Cheers
Neil Carney
Al_len

Re: small scale sawmill

Post by Al_len »

http://www.catfish-hollow.com/Portersvi ... wmill4.jpg

Grandad built this one, and it is for sale (the mill, not the traction engine)

Richard_Reppisch

Post by Richard_Reppisch »

Hi,
here is a modell sawmill, which is under construction. It´s semiscale from a historic one. At one time it will be operated via a steam engine.

Richard
jpfalt

Post by jpfalt »

This place has an operating miniature sawmill. The site doesn't have photos and I can't find photos I took almost 20 years ago. Maybe someone else in the grup has seen it and has photos.

Miniature World
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Richard, we operated a full size Esterer (Made in Germany) sash gang mill similar to the model in your picture for several years. What is the make of the model you have shown us? Doesn't appear to be an Esterer or not at least the type we had at our band mill.

See ATTACHMENT for a photo of an operating model that was at the big model show in Germany last year. Dampfwilli sent this one to me. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Unka(Took 94 cubic yards of concrete for the foundation of the Esterer and I helped pour every bit of it. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/crazy.gif"%20alt="[/img])Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
Richard_Reppisch

Hi Unka,
the model is gang saw mill. From the principles it is similar than the one on Dampfwillis photo. I donot now what the Esterer type is.
It has a heigth of 11 inch and a width of 8 inch. The frames are made of grey cast iron. Axles, weels and working bars are of simple steel and feed rollers are made of alumina.
There are 8 blades intended (not installed in the photo). The diameter of the wood which can be handled is 40mm designed.

Richard
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Richard, Our Esterer sash gang mill carried 18 saw blades. From the looks of the model in the picture from Sinshiem, that one was modeled after an Esterer. Esterer had a dealer in Memphis Tennesse who sold the mills in the USA, but I have seen other makes in some mills in Mississippi. It was a very nice mill and made good lumber if operated with care, but we did not use whole logs. Instead we flattened two sides of the logs in our big band sawmill and then sent them to the Esterer to be made into lumber. It took only one minute to saw up a 16 foot (4.8 Meter) long log of oak into lumber.

It is a beautiful model you are building so post us some pictures when you get the mill completed or as you build it. Most people in America have never heard of or seen a sash gang mill in operation.

Unka(I have video footage of our mill running. )Jesse
Richard_Reppisch

Hi,
latest news from my sawmill. It is nearly finished and it operates on base of an electric drive.
I have already produced some blanks

Regards

Richard
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Very nice sash gang mill Richard. I can see it is not an Esterer* mill so what is the prototype? How tall is it? We had an Esterer for several years and made lots of lumber with it, but we were unable to supply enough logs for it and our big 7 foot band mill at the same time. We squared up the logs on the band mill and then sent them to the gang mill which could make 18 boards at one time.

Unka(Well it is not like the Esterer we had, anyway.)Jesse
mrb37211

Post by mrb37211 »

You just didn't click deep enough. In the upper right corner is a dropdown box for reviewing different parts of the museum, and one is the sawmill.

Incidently, sawmills are popular subjects for modeling in the electric-powered segment of the hobby -- especially in Sn3 and On3. The Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette has featured sawmills and mines from time to time. Check out the Model Railroader index site (whose url I haven't relocated for this new hard drive).

Charles
mrb37211

Post by mrb37211 »

There was a multi-part series several years ago in Modeltec on building a miniature 3" scale sawmill. Hopefully the back issues will become available once again. Or you can search for them on eBay or from friends, etc. Specifically, 22 parts January 1996 thru October 1997 (12 issues/year then) are what you will need.

Charles
Phill

Post by Phill »

If anyone has a general arrangement drawing that they could email me, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm interested in having a look at how they are set up.

Cheers,

Phill.
He who dies with the most toys, does not win!
He who dies with the most used and loved toys, wins.