small scale sawmill

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

UnkaJesse

Re: small scale sawmill

Post by UnkaJesse »

Phill, Think Jig saw BIG Jig Saw and you will have the principle of the sash gang. Notice the crank wheel at the bottom? There are two of these with connecting rods that attach to a thing not unlike a window sash. Between the upper and lower crossmembers of the sash, the saws are stretched and held in place with wedges. Spacers between the saws determine the thickness of the lumber to be produced. Feed rollers are moved forward by that set of levers that look vaguely like the combination lever of a Walschaerts valve gear. As the sash goes up and down, a ratchet like mechanism rotates the infeed and out feed rolls and its amount of travel per cycle can be regulated by sliding the sleeve along that horizontal rod. Our Esterer sash gang was not mechanical in so far as the feed was concerned, but had a hydraulic motor that rotated the feed rolls as well as applying pressure to grip the log.

Unka(Ours sat on 94 yards of concrete foundation and it still shook the ground, boogity boogity [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img])Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
Richard_Reppisch

Post by Richard_Reppisch »

Hi Unka,
the original sawmill is approx. 10 feet tall. My model is of scale 1:10 and therefore approx. of 11 inch height

Richard
Richard_Reppisch

Hi,
here is another picture which is better for clarification than a general drawing

Richard
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Richard, I see two pulleys on the crank shaft, I suppose one is loose and the other keyed? We had only one pulley, but we drove the saw with a 200 hp electric motor.. Sash gang saws were never very popular in the USA for some reason, but a few mills in the South have them for cutting soft woods like pine, fir etc. They will cut hardwoods like oak, but you need a good operator with good judgment about how fast to feed the log through the mill.

Unka( That 94 yards of concrete will be there in the ground forever!!)Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
Richard_Reppisch

Hi Unka,
one of the pulleys is loose for standstill operation of the sawmill without stopping the drive. Sash gang mills are very popular also today in Germany

regards
Richard
dampfwilli

Post by dampfwilli »

Klasse Richard, du bringst die Bilder ja jetzt selbst. Ist auch gut so. Ich bin bisher einfach noch nicht dazu gekommen.
Friends its no conspiracy, but Richard and i are in Germany in a nice Forum. Its not so much railroad, more stationary and other things, but its of a high quality and with much pics. You must be registered but its easy and without any costs. Here are the link: http://27933.rapidforum.com/
Have Fun
dampfwilli

You must not be crazy to play with steam, but it helps.
FredR

Post by FredR »

Klasse Richard, du bringst die Bilder ja jetzt selbst. Ist auch gut so. Ich bin bisher einfach noch nicht dazu gekommen.
Friends its no conspiracy, but Richard and i are in Germany in a nice Forum. Its not so much railroad, more stationary and other things, but its of a high quality and with much pics. You must be registered but its easy and without any costs. Here are the link: http://27933.rapidforum.com/

Just as long as you translate into English [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Fred
Phill

Post by Phill »

Dampfwilli,

My esteem for you has gone up another notch or two, after I went to that site, and had a look at everything written in German..... I don't know how long it took you to learn english, but it will probebly take me much longer to learn German.

There were some nice models on that site.

Cheers,

Phill.
He who dies with the most toys, does not win!
He who dies with the most used and loved toys, wins.
dampfwilli

Post by dampfwilli »

Yeah Phill,
its a german site and normally we speak German in Germany.
When i come to a American site i must read or write in english. Its also in Germany i must read or write in German. But i think we have much more people here, understanding english better than i. I found at the whole Live steam Forum only two or three Americans with a very good German. But You must say, for look at th Pictures on our site its normally no english necessary. Are, simple , very good models!
Have Fun
dampfwilli

You must not be crazy to play with steam, but it helps.