Hudson Drawings

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Jim_Nolan

Hudson Drawings

Post by Jim_Nolan »

Right here is an easy one to get started. I got from a guy a set of Friends models prints for their ¾ scale Hudson. Anyone know how many prints were in a full set originally, as I think I may be a few slices short of a loaf.
As part of the batch I also got a less detailed set of Hudson drawings, the name on them was W.R. Levon, anyone know anything about them?
www.northernsteam.com
Wayne

Re: Hudson Drawings

Post by Wayne »

The parts for the Husdon I have were suposedly supplied by someone by the name of Lavergn Langworthy, who later sold out to Yankee Shops who later sold out to Les Friend. I suspect that my information may be incorrect. In any case, I got no drawings with the locomotive except for the side elevation, which has deteriorated and fallen apart.
Curtis_F

Post by Curtis_F »

If I'm thinking of the right thing...

There should be lots of sheets covering all the mechanical & boiler details. The Hundson ran as a project in "Model Craftsmam" back in the 40s & 50s. Lester D. Friend was the Kozo of the day. Ran articels on 3/4" scale 4-6-4/4-8-4, 4-6-2/4-8-2 & a UP 4-6-6-4 Challenger. A very prolific fellow.

For a full set of plans get a hold of "Little Engines" as they used to sell Friend's 3/4" scale 4-6-4 & 4-8-4 plans & instructions in one book. They also sold castings for the engines as well at that time. I have a copy of the book, paperback only, but it's in storage. It was one of the first books I bought when I got into the hobby (198?) but was bitten by the larger gauges. The book was put on the shelf as reference material and is currently in storage.

I must confess that it's been several years since I've seen the issues of "Model Craftsman" or the book, so I may be wrong, but this is as I can reacall it. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/blush.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Hope this helps,

Curtis F.
25+ Years of SolidWorks experience...now I feel old.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
"Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics."
www.facebook.com/HillcrestShops
sncf141r

Post by sncf141r »

levon designed the hudson that eventually was sold by
Karl Hoffman, who recently sold the castings/plans to
someone in the northeast USA. (he had an ad in Live
Steam back in the fall of 2002)

The Friends/Little Engines/Levon-Hoffman hudsons were
different designs.

John Stewart.
JBrew

Post by JBrew »

Curtis, are you part of the H&WRR bunch?
JoeTanski

Post by JoeTanski »

The Hudson that Carl Hoffamn once sold came from the Frank Birch design out of the detroit winsor locks area.little engines hudson was always Martin Lewis design, and the Langworthy /Friends Hudson were the same out of New England
Joe
sncf141r

Post by sncf141r »

Hi Joe;

I got a bunch of Hudson drawings from two sources, both of which
were identified as "Hoffman" Hudson drawings. A lot of these have
something like "a.p. levon" on them.

Are my sources incorrect? Is it possible that the Frank Birch design
came from Mr. Levon waaay back?

BTW - I think the Hoffman hudson drawing masters and patterns have
made it back into the area where they came from. I talked to Bruce
Hoffman last September about their disposition; they were not quite
sold yet at that time, though.

Cheers; JohnS.
Curtis_F

Post by Curtis_F »

No, Jim I would never admit to hanging out with that bunch of miscreant, low-life, scum of the Earth. So, will you be coming out again whenever the Bautista's get back from their vacation and work resumes? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
25+ Years of SolidWorks experience...now I feel old.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
"Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics."
www.facebook.com/HillcrestShops
JoeTanski

Post by JoeTanski »

I have both sets of drawings and castings for both engines and there is major differances in both drawings and the castings. the friends and langworthy are both very accurate to the NYC design ( lots and Lots of detail ) Baker valve gear castings !! while the birch/hoffman designs and castings are much simpler and stright.they also used wal. valve gear I also have build a 3/4 scale p4 pacific from the old Frank Burch drawings and castings and many parts like the drivers/cylinders/valvegear are all the same castingsThe boxpok drivers that Hoffman offered were off the friends castings .hope this helps. it seems over the years all mfg in the 3/4 scale used a lot of the same patterns
and designs just to fit their customers needs and wants, which is all fine.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Joe, Did Friends have Box-Pox drivers for their Hudsons? I know they had them for the Challanger, but I thought that the diameter was smaller?