Unka Jesse, here a picture of my ..... baby ....

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

themnax
Location: a small green planet in a distant galaxy (actualy roseville california)

Re: ..... baby ....

Post by themnax »

more more - ye got any more o that 2' 0-4-2 like m'be on the main pullin somethin 'd be great ta see ... (me has soft spot fur ppl size prototypes, steam or not ... ~;)
stay well and keep doing the wonderful things that you do ... ~;)
Phill

Re: Unka Jesse, here a picture of my ..... baby ....

Post by Phill »

Willy,

I have approx 110 lb per driver. The whole loco wieghs in around 250 Kg, and there's around 50 KG (max) on the pony. That's with full side tanks and bunker. When empty, 4 reasonably strong people can pick her up from the buffers easily enough. You should try some of my mates engines. One wieghed in at 1040Kg. Now that is a pain in the arse to rerail......
For my little engine, pulling 40 people is almost effortless. Most of the run is done at 20% cutoff.
What size cyl's and drivers have you got?
Actually I know of a 2-6-0 that has the same problem as you, but it also has a much lower TE (tractive effort or drawbar pull) which really limits his engines cpabilities. The engine has slightly larger cyl's but drivers that are 1.5 times the size of mine. The 7.25" gauge Garratt that I'm building at the moment has 525 lb drawbar pull, which assuming I can get the wieght into it, should alow it to pull around 30 ton. And that's only a 2-6-0 + 0-6-2 wheel arangement...... But then again..... It is at 1/6 th scale........

I'll attach a pic of the full size loco for you.

Cheers,

Phill.
He who dies with the most toys, does not win!
He who dies with the most used and loved toys, wins.
Phill

Post by Phill »

That's my 7.25" gauge model of the full size. Unfortunately I lost all the fullsize info I had thanks to a thoughtless uncaring person.

If you wish, I'll find someone with a picture of her (my model) pulling a load. I have always found it hard to take pic's while driving...... Anyone else have that problem???

Cheers,

Phill.
willy

Post by willy »

LOL that lokie of yours beats mine cold. My loco is 360 pounds dry and spread out over 8 wheels she is rather light. Grin yet when I get the Dunkirk done I think I will be all set. 1/4 scale at 6 feet long/37 inches tall/21 inches wide/ estimated weight will be around 600 pounds.

-willy-

PS the cylinders on my 2-6-0 are 1.625 inch bore by 2 inch something stroke.
willy

Post by willy »

Problem? Nah, a split personality really helps in them out of body experiences...... [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img] Otherwise it helps to have family that is truly loving the fun you have and squeezes all sorts of pictures off for ya!

-willy-
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Well, you're a talented bloke and that's for sure!! Congratulations and best wishes!!
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Phill, that's a wee little Garrett, yer could put it in the 'ip pocket of one of them big SAR Beyer-Garretts! Gonna make a real cutie when yer get through wid it. Keep us posted on yer progress.

Unka Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
Phill

Post by Phill »

Wiily,

I am very curious to see a pic of what you engine will turn out like.... when it's finished of course....... <GRIN> What's the wheel arangement etc?
Can you post a pic, or email it to me?
As for slipping, if you have a look at 3' 6" practice, the power to wieght ratio ("factor of adhesion" in the books) is normally around 1/5. This ratio seems to be very good for goods engines, which our models undoubtably are in reality as the high speed engines do not do anywhere near what they are capable of.......

My "new" loco (the garratt) is ten feet long, 17 inches wide, 27 inches high, and it should weigh in at arround 700 Kg (1568 lb). I'm not up to the right ratio (as far as I'm concerned) but I'm close at 1:4.2.....
But then I'm cheating........ I've got lumps of 1" plate stashed between the frames of the front engine unit, and my wieght on the rear one...... <grin> ........ and I have to drop my calculated pressure due to losses from having to go so far.
I don't like the idea of slipping tooooo easily...... <GRIN>

Phill.