American model shows

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Jim_Nolan

American model shows

Post by Jim_Nolan »

Which show has the best display of locomotives? Is there an equivalent of say a Midlands or Northern model engineering exhibition, difficult to compare if you have not been there I know. But lets say 75% of the exhibits in UK show will be steam locomotives either completed or under construction, what show in the US’ would give the best ratio?
www.northernsteam.com
Allen_from_CHT

Re: American model shows

Post by Allen_from_CHT »

An awful lot of the exhibits at Cabin Fever are infernal combusted or stationary engines. Last year you could probably find as many radial aircraft engine models as you could locos of all types. Those used to British style exhibitions might be amazed to see some of the exhibits on display here. Alongside the superbly hand crafted models, you'll also find kit builts, and even barstock stuff that can look rather cobbled together, but it runs. One thing I'd still like to see more of, though, is junior exhibitors (under 18 or 21).
<a href="http://www.cabinfeverexpo.com/">Cabin Fever Expo</a>

Held the same January weekend as Cabin Fever is the International Small Scale Steamup at Diamondhead Mississippi. HERE you'll find a LOT of steam locos - purchased, kitbashed, custom built and manufacturer's prototypes, but they are mostly gauge 1 and smaller.
<a href="http://www.diamondhead.org/">International Small Scale Steamup
and Arts festival</a>

I've not yet been to NAMES, PRIME, or any of the smaller venues to judge them.
johnny

Re: American model shows

Post by johnny »

Jim,
I've been to NAMES and it has great models, but almost no locomotives. Nearly everything is stationary steam, hit and miss etc. Worth a visit, but for a loco freak like me it lacked what I wanted to see: a huge room full of high quality steam locomotives and vendors.
Johnny