please help fab slide valve(no machine tools)

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

SZuiderveen

Re: please help fab slide valve(no machine tools)

Post by SZuiderveen »

In the Seventies, I believe, Tubal Cain or one of the other regular contributors to Model Engineer did a complete series on how to build a Stuart Turner 10 with only hand tools (to prove it could be done). Sorry I do not have a consolidated index to be able to say which issues.

Steve
Al_Messer

Post by Al_Messer »

Dave, you can get a chunk of Cast Iron Bushing stock from Coles' Power Models for $5.00 or less that will be plenty of stock for a valve or maybe two.
Al Messer

"One nation, under God"
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Dave, Mention was made back there somewhere about dis-similar metals so if your 'D" Valve is of steel (which is OK) just make sure that the valve seat is cast iron or brass or you will surely have big time trouble.

Unka Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
Tel

Post by Tel »

Yeah Steve - the series was called 'Handmaiden' - got it here but I'd have to dig back thru' a huge pile of M.E. to find it

Tel
Tel
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

Yep, Tubal Cain told the making of Handmaiden in ME from 18 June 1982 to 19 November 1982, alternating issues. Interesting enough, he states at the end that it only took about an hour longer to construct the Stuart 10H with hand tools than with machine tools, as so much is spent in set up time. (Of course, "the first blacksmith ever" was probably a lot handier with hand tools than I am!) [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]