Sweet Creek Mogul Boiler Question

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Sweet Creek Mogul Boiler Question

Post by Bill Shields »

So .it's a boat anchor even though it passed all the inspections?

Granted...inspectors do not necessarily care about functionality
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Without seeing evidence of the defects being claimed for this boiler, I am left with a ??? because if it was NB inspected, then those sorts of defects should not have been allowed to pass, and it has the paperwork alleging that it is OK. Photo of the inside of the firebox perhaps? Or even better, down the dome ?

I read a bit of the shenanigan's of John Rimmasch/Wasatch, and ya, I'd be a LOT of Q's before I spent my $ on it, but a NB inspected boiler should not have the sorts of defects that are being mentioned. If it does, there was more rotten here than just Wasatach.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Checking crown sheet height is something that can be done with a straight edge and little more than a tape measure.

It is not rocket science..
srrl5

Post by srrl5 »

You are correct Bill S, that is how I found out there was something rotten in the boiler.
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Wow!
JR May

Post by JR May »

I'll get some measurements and let everyone know. Really what people are saying here is that the State inspector was in cahoots with Wasatch which I find hard to believe.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

unless he was just inspecting materials and assembly (welding) quality, not actual 'usability'

I have seen that elsewhere in other industries -> which is why I brought up the point.
JR May

Post by JR May »

Four boilers were built by Wasatch for RMI in two batches in 2009. The AI signed off on the design on the inspection sheet for each boiler including the fit up.

And if four were built, and one returned, where are the others?

Stay tuned for some actual measurements.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

i have seen inspectors (personally) sign off on the fit up and welding of a hydrogen branch pipe being connected to something very non-hydrogen.

We used hydrogen to cool large power generators..in case someone is wondering..

inspector weaseled out be saying 'the materials, fit and weld are perfect'. -> "not my responsibility to know what gas goes where..."

it was the 'hot tap' crew (drill into a pressurized pipe in service) that questioned what they were about to do....and came to the maintenance superintendent (me) to confirm their instructions.

lucky we didn't all die that afternoon....
srrl5

Post by srrl5 »

The boilers were built in two batches, the first two were "OK". The second two were returned by me for the reason I mentioned above. What happened to the two that were returned I have no way of knowing. If this is one of the two returned the fire box was installed to high. I am the one who worked at RMI at the time this happen. Of the two that were not returned one is on a locomotive that is in the shop right now. The other is about 16 miles away at the Ranch on the locomotive of the current owner of RMI.

I do not know if the boilers were repaired after they were returned. But I do know the money paid for the returned boilers was never returned to RMI.

David Rohrer
Last edited by srrl5 on Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
djjh87

Post by djjh87 »

Bill we worked in the same industry.
I always thought Hot Tap crews were brave individuals they can and have gone bad. Jim
No problems just solutions.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

:roll:

form my point of view: -> the lunatics are not the hot tap crews, but the welders who stick on the branch fittings with the pipe in-service.

where I worked...EVERYTHING was combustible -> most of it explosive -> all under high pressure which meant that you could not run fast enough.