Last Run Billy Click

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

makinsmoke

Last Run Billy Click

Post by makinsmoke »

It is my sad duty to report on the passing of Billy Click of Llano, Texas.

A link to his obituary follows. There is so much more to his story, but I will stay with the railroading.

I first met Billy when Billy and his son Danny, working with the Pickard family, initiated a rebuiilding program on the Comanche & Indian Gap Railroad eight years ago. No one really knew what an undertaking this would become, and continues to this day. Many friends from all over have contributed money and time to this effort, and it shows.

Billy was there for nearly every moment of it, from helping with funds, finding material and resources, to raking ballast, to being an amazing ambassador for the railroad. If you showed up at a meet, chances are you would be talking with Billy at some point.

He bought Truman Hefner's Santa Fe F-units and cars, and instantly added flash to the meets every time the Chief would glide past, Billy with his boots out on the highway pegs and cowboy hat firmly on his head. I fondly remember Truman riding around in the same position, and it always made me feel glad to have known him, and to know Billy had brought some part of Truman back to the C&IG. For it was Truman early on, who rode around the fledgling C&IG with video camera, shooting movies, that he'd show to other live steam folks across the country, encouraging them to come.

Billy, Danny and his family travelled a lot, riding trains, shooting videos, getting to know many in the "large scale" railroad community, as well as our "standard gauge" community. His stoic presence in a conversation would at times be long moments listening to various points being made. He would then make a slight comment, with a chuckle, that would have everyone rolling with laughter.

I'm a movie guy. Anyone that knows me can tell you that. I frequently quote movie lines that at times drives my wife crazy.
I will leave you with this, after the loss of both Billy and Marilyn Pickard within a couple of weeks,
"I wish we had more time."

Billy was a nice guy. I enjoyed being around him. He loved the hobby and enjoyed the people and the trains. I will miss him.

High greens, Chief!

Brian Banks,
Llano, Texas

https://www.tributearchive.com/obituari ... illy-click
IMG_5129.JPG
Attachments
IMG_4324 crop.JPG