best way to get started?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Builder01

Re: best way to get started?

Post by Builder01 »

Where do you find boilers, same place you get the other parts, you make them!

All materials for a 1" scale locomotive
DSCN1016.JPG
Plates get flanged
DSCN1068.JPG
Tube sheets get bored
DSCN1087.JPG
Parts get silver soldered together
DSCN1257.JPG
All parts on blackhead were fabricated, not purchased
DSCN1355.JPG
Finished blackhead
DSCN1834.JPG
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

I'd stay with 7.5 gauge if you want to be able to travel to the different amazing tracks around.

Something like an 0-4-0 with a flat car is pretty easy to transport.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Berkman wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:17 am I'd stay with 7.5 gauge if you want to be able to travel to the different amazing tracks around.

Keep in mind that the OP is still in middle school and as such will rely on their parents to transport them and their loco around...
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

I understand, but he'll be in high school by the time it is finished. Running it on a loop in your backyard is not nearly as fun as visiting some of the neat railroads in the mid west. The excitement of one day taking it to the white creek rr, Michigan central, etc would be a nice motivation for finishing it.

I've seen people load a 0-4-0 and gondola into a minvan or smallish suv
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Understood and agreed. I remember being a youngster and wishing I had something to run. Glad I have a truck now :-)
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

With 1" scale there are plenty of tracks if you know where to look. I am able to put a steam locomotive, tender, 2 riding cars, all the paraphernalia for a steamer, a cooler, luggage, myself and my wife into a Pontiac Vibe. We have run on tracks from New York to California, all 4-3/4" gauge.

It does not need to be 1.5" scale to run steam, have fun, and run on lots of different amazing tracks.
PilotBug

Post by PilotBug »

Berkman wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:17 am
Conveniently I actually prefer smaller engines, they are more charming to me :)
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

A Mercer or Allen 0-4-0 would be a great locomotive. Either would be a bit stronger than an allen chloe.

A flat car and a bobber caboose that can sit on the flatcar during transport would be a nice train.
PilotBug

Post by PilotBug »

Mike Walsh wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:52 am
There are several boiler makers... Ridge Boiler comes to mind.

Before you go crazy buying castings, blueprints, etc... Consider your budget. A 3/4" tom thumb can be built for a fraction of a Allen Models Chloe or similar.

Might be easier to find scrap materials for a Tom Thumb than to find materials for a Chloe. Downside is not having a local track. But you could build a small point to point highline in your backyard (if mom and dad will allow) and then take it over to St. Croix for some endurance running. Just a thought. If you are wanting more detailed information regarding a price point comparison, you can send me a message and I can offer some thoughts.

Mike
Thanks for the info
About the Tom Thumb, the St Croix club is about 4 hours away, and it would probably end up being more expensive, as I would need to build the railroad in my parent's backyard

so yeah not exactly a practical option. I would need the locomotive, rolling stock, and railroad. comparatively, in 7.5-inch gauge, I would really only need the locomotive, and probably a fuel car (I plan on using something like propane), and the MLES is only around a 45-minute commute so a kinda easy thing (though my Dad would have to take me, as his car has more space to put the locomotive and fuel car)

and given that my Mom due to recent circumstances would have at least 2K (not going into detail as to how, though it was a legal way) although I would ask her first, and really only ask for a little, given it is HER money, and after what happened recently I think it would be quite Entitled to use the money

so at best it would at least be a somewhat starting fund (maybe, She may say no [and I would understand]) even then I would be too embarrassed to ask

but either way, thanks for the valuable info.
PilotBug

Post by PilotBug »

Berkman wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:00 pm
A flat car and a bobber caboose that can sit on the flatcar during transport would be a nice train.
so I infer that clubs would probably not provide rolling stock

I would still build like a flatbed first, to learn the ropes
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

I'm sure you could borrow rolling stock from a club member before you are finishing up your own.

Building something like a tom bee or titan trains flat car kit would be a nice first project as well.
PilotBug

Post by PilotBug »

Berkman wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:52 pm I'm sure you could borrow rolling stock from a club member before you are finishing up your own.

Building something like a tom bee or titan trains flat car kit would be a nice first project as well.
ok got it.
thanks