best way to get started?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

PilotBug

Re: best way to get started?

Post by PilotBug »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:21 am
PilotBug wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:15 pm
Actually, my high school has a metal shop

Though, I am in middle school (8th Grade)

Hustle over there and talk to the teacher! Nothing excites a teacher more than someone who wants to learn. See if he or she will show you around the shop. Tell them you plan on taking the classes as soon as you can, and see if there is some sort of club you could join. High schools around here have robotics clubs and they need machinists to make the parts.
and what is convenient is that the High school is JUST across the street from the Middle School which I attend (though I will have to ask administration and such to work out me taking those classes)
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

PilotBug wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:29 am
PilotBug wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:15 pm
Actually, my high school has a metal shop

Though, I am in middle school (8th Grade)

Hustle over there and talk to the teacher! Nothing excites a teacher more than someone who wants to learn. See if he or she will show you around the shop. Tell them you plan on taking the classes as soon as you can, and see if there is some sort of club you could join. High schools around here have robotics clubs and they need machinists to make the parts.
and what is convenient is that the High school is JUST across the street from the Middle School which I attend (though I will have to ask administration and such to work out me taking those classes)

Before you go to the admin., make friends with the teacher. Admin folks tend to look to the rule book first but having the teacher on your side counts for a lot. Also, before you go, have some other folks ready to advocate for you, such as letters of recommendation, and, of course, parental support. I'm not saying that the admin is predisposed to say no, but you have to make your case on the first try. If they do say no they will be less likely to change their mind.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
PilotBug

Post by PilotBug »

Update:
Thank you all for the advice so far :D

I have been considering several options for my first project: some contestants
Allen Models: 0-4-0 yard engine, or Chloe (maybe a Fitchburg for the second)
Little Engines 0-4-0.
these are off the top of my head rn so if I remember any I will list them here

again Thanks for the advice
PilotBug

Post by PilotBug »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:04 am
PilotBug wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:29 am

Before you go to the admin., make friends with the teacher. Admin folks tend to look to the rule book first but having the teacher on your side counts for a lot. Also, before you go, have some other folks ready to advocate for you, such as letters of recommendation, and, of course, parental support. I'm not saying that the admin is predisposed to say no, but you have to make your case on the first try. If they do say no they will be less likely to change their mind.
Yes, I already have. just today, now I gotta wait
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Are you close to Hudson, WI?
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Allen 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 if they make it, LE 0-6-0, Mercer 0-4-0, would all be affordable great projects that will run well.

I'd probably recommend building an 0-6-0 vs an 0-4-0. The 0-6-0 will be little extra work, expensive and track+ pull better.

The conner beam engine also is a great option and requires no castings.

Largest single expense on a locomotive will be the boiler.

Don't forget the logistics - having a place to store it, work on it, a way to transport it.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Something I would encourage you to do before you jump into a locomotive project is to make a few of the tools that you will use for the rest of your life. Back in history, craftsmen made all, or most, of their own tools, and one of the elements of a job interview was for the employer to have a look at the craftsman's toolbox. That would show the skill and care of the potential employee.

Also, making a few simple tools will give you practice before you start on expensive castings or materials. Something to start with would be one of these tap wrenches. There are two styles below. The top one would be easiest with two parts and two screws. The bottom is four parts and would give you practice in threading in the lathe. (I'm planning on making one of these in the next week or so. A small one for very small taps.)

They don't take much time to make. They are made from bar stock which would cost you only a few bucks (or the shop teacher might just give it to you). You'll get practice in measurement and layout, turning, match drilling (a valuable technique) and tapping. You don't need to put the knurl on the handles if you don't want to. I'd recommend two sizes; one perhaps about 8 inches overall length, another perhaps about five. The shop teacher can help you with that. Then you can polish them up with some emery cloth and stamp your name or initials in it and you'll have something that will serve you on a regular basis as you move forward.
b19f9f05d20486c6756effe48f7c143a.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
Here are some other tools you can make. These I made when I was starting out and I used the knurling tool, several of the parallel clamps (I made a set of various sizes) and the tailstock die holder just last week. The other two in the photo are a small hand vise and something called a "wiggler." (It's use requires an explanation too long for here.) The next photo is a cold chisel I made when I was your age, in the junior high metal shop. (I got a B.) And over 5 decades later it shows it's life but I still have it. There is a sense of pride and satisfaction when you work with tools you have made yourself.

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0057.JPG
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Say waaaat?

Heavy metal shop sounds like a garage band...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
PilotBug

Post by PilotBug »

Mike Walsh wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:01 pm Are you close to Hudson, WI?
no I am in Milwaukee County
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Gotcha. Seems like Milwaukee Light Engineering Society would be a good track to call home, unfortunately that does mean significant expense as far as components go (1.5" scale).

Good luck :)
PilotBug

Post by PilotBug »

Berkman wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:07 pm
Largest single expense on a locomotive will be the boiler.

About that...
Where can I find boilers or how does one get them

I'm talking like Allen Chloe or any of the other engines mentioned here?
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

There are several boiler makers... Ridge Boiler comes to mind.

Before you go crazy buying castings, blueprints, etc... Consider your budget. A 3/4" tom thumb can be built for a fraction of a Allen Models Chloe or similar.

Might be easier to find scrap materials for a Tom Thumb than to find materials for a Chloe. Downside is not having a local track. But you could build a small point to point highline in your backyard (if mom and dad will allow) and then take it over to St. Croix for some endurance running. Just a thought. If you are wanting more detailed information regarding a price point comparison, you can send me a message and I can offer some thoughts.

Mike