best way to get started?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Mike Walsh

Re: best way to get started?

Post by Mike Walsh »

I'm glad to hear of the approval of your parents. Nowadays we need more youth getting their hands dirty.

Keep us posted.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

PilotBug:
Pleased to hear that you have Home & School Support.
This Discussion Board is also your support.

'Looking forward to watching your progress.
RussN
PilotBug

Post by PilotBug »

NP317 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:31 am PilotBug:
Pleased to hear that you have Home & School Support.
This Discussion Board is also your support.

'Looking forward to watching your progress.
RussN
thanks. Im gonna wait for Christmas to (hopefully) get the drawings and some money set aside to buy the parts
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Have you decided on what to build?
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
PilotBug

Post by PilotBug »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:41 am Have you decided on what to build?
probably an Allen Chloe with minor cosmetic modifications
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

IF you are going to build the Allen Chloe, there are a couple of Running Gear modifications that I would suggest you do: (1) Build it with a 6" diameter boiler shell instead of the 5" diameter boiler shell that it calls for in the drawings. The 6" diameter boiler shell has a lot more steaming space and holds more water, and will make it steam very well. (2) Make the frames out of solid hot rolled steel and skip the aluminum frame casting. This will make it heavier and sturdier, which will give you better traction and longer life. That aluminum casting will work OK, but I've seen some of those crack after several years of use or after a bad derailment. If you make those 2 mods, then she will steam well and I think you'll be happy. Any of the other mods can be made later on if need be.

My personal Allen Chloe was modified in the following ways: 6" diameter boiler, steel frame, steel main and side rods, 1/16" larger bore on the water pump, 1.5" diameter cylinder bore instead of 1.25" diameter, soild steel front buffer beam, brakes on the drive wheels (added this at a later date). Was an awesome locomotive to run... kept you on your toes, but she could really steam and would pull pretty good for her size. I could pull 4 cars+ myself and another passenger around the MSLS track, which has some serious 3%+ grades. Not too shabby for such a small locomotive. I ran the wheels off of that thing.

Now you're making me want to go fix mine up and get it back out on the track!
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Another reason to go with 6"Ø pipe, . . . unless the market has reverted, 5"Ø steel is a "Standard" size, in that it's still present in standards for steel pipe, but it has been decades since it was a "stock" size, that is, available somewhere off the shelf. One is easy to source, the other is virtually impossible to source, or has been.
You get to pick. :-)
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

pressure qualified tubing can be found in various sizes.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
rmac

Post by rmac »

PilotBug wrote: thanks. Im gonna wait for Christmas to (hopefully) get the drawings and some money set aside to buy the parts
One of the very early posts in this thread suggested that you start with a small stationary engine to get your feet wet before diving into a big, expensive locomotive project. Depending on how much machining experience you already have and what tools you have available aside from those at the high school, a quickie project might still be a really good idea. Especially since you're stuck waiting for Christmas anyway!

There are a million plans available for simple engines that you can build from stock material. That means you can make mistakes and just start over without having to worry about messing up a bunch of expensive castings. Here's just one sample of the free plans available online:

http://www.john-tom.com/html/ElmersEngines.html

Spend the next couple of months building a simple wobbler engine. I bet you'll be glad you did.

-- Russell Mac
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Elmer's engines is how I started. I was in my early 20's. Then I got plans for a small traction engine. I could clearly see I did not have the skill, experience, or, machinery to build the tractor. I spent several years working in machine shops at the water front in San Diego. I have recently built a live steam locomotive. It was not difficult, I have all the machinery and necessary skills. There are many years between Elmer's engines and my steam locomotive.

While working full time, my locomotive chassis was running on air in 9 months. In 23 months it ran on it's own steam. Another 18 months all the plate work and painting was done. I attribute my quick progress due to my past experiences.
PilotBug

Post by PilotBug »

again I must say
Thank you everyone for the advice
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Pilotbug:
Keep us posted on your progress.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.