best way to get started?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Re: best way to get started?

Post by Glenn Brooks »

One other thing to check is DiscoverLiveSteam.com. They often have cars and locomotives at very reasonable prices, it’s sort of like craigslist for live steamers. You will find everything from electric switchers to steam engines, riding cars to used track. Watch the postings until something comes up in your price range. And save up to buy the more expensive things with some part time work around the neighborhood - which is what most all of us do throughout our lifetime to buy train stuff. 8)

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
PilotBug

Post by PilotBug »

there are a few locomotives I am considering, most of them being Allen locomotives, due to their low cost, and customization.

some locomotives I am considering from them are:
Their "American" (a good all-rounder)
The "Chloe"
Their 0-4-0 Yard Engine

there are other engines I am considering:
like the Little Engines 0-4-0 Crab
and their 0-4-0

and honestly, I would (at least) consider stationary Steam engines to learn a bit more

with these locomotives, I plan to use propane, so I would need a fuel car (which would be built first to learn the ropes), my dad has experience with Propane (his grill uses it to start the fire). The club I plan to join is the Milwaukee Light Engineering Society (about a 45-minute commute)
which one sounds the best out of all of these? or are there other locomotives you would recommend?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

"which one sounds the best out of all of these? or are there other locomotives you would recommend?"

If you choose to build a locomotive, I would recommend the Allen locomotives.
-Available parts, drawings and accessories, and lots of knowledgeable support from people in the hobby.

-Little Engines may or may not be back supplying castings, after part of that business was acquired by a new owner.
-The Crab is tiny but may still give you good experience for starting. Availability? Not sure.

RussN
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Do you plan on building the locomotive? If so, have you taken into consideration the costs involved with acquiring shop tools?
Even if you can use your high school’s machine tools, you will want some of your own. And I would highly recommend getting your own measuring tools.
Shared tools are only as accurate as the least careful person that uses them. At the minimum you will want a good one inch micrometer and a set of vernier calipers. Before deciding on which locomotive you may wish to build. Getting some basic measuring instruments and learning how to use them is essential. And then learning some basic skills, just learning to use a file is needed. And not as easy as you might think.

Keith
Last edited by LVRR2095 on Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PilotBug

Post by PilotBug »

LVRR2095 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:30 pm Do you plan on building the locomotive?
why yes, yes I do

and thanks for the advice
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Define father's 'car'
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Another vote for the Allen series. These are tried-and-true designs with affordable castings and have a long history in the hobby. They are not difficult to build, and there are many of them out there and therefore there is lots of help and advice available.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Lovesthedrive

Post by Lovesthedrive »

Bill Shields wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:17 pmDefine father's 'car'
The OP is under age (alot under age).

I think you should join the local steam club. Some one might have a small loco they started and will sell you for a song.
1969 MF 40 Industrial
PilotBug

Post by PilotBug »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:49 pm Another vote for the Allen series. These are tried-and-true designs with affordable castings and have a long history in the hobby. They are not difficult to build, and there are many of them out there and therefore there is lots of help and advice available.
there are many locomotives I am considering

such as the Fitchburg Northern
or their Chloe
as they both share common parts
easy to build (then again it IS Allen Models)
well rounded (ish)
not the most heavy
and look nice
PilotBug

Post by PilotBug »

Lovesthedrive wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:02 pm
Bill Shields wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:17 pmDefine father's 'car'
The OP is under age (alot under age).

I think you should join the local steam club. Some one might have a small loco they started and will sell you for a song.
ok thanks for this info
I have decided on a club, "Milwaukee Light Engineering society" about 45 Minutes from my parents' house
although I will have a backup option too, there is no guarantee that there will be a small unfinished locomotive.
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

The Crab is a GREAT beginners project. Very simple and straightforward. It is also very forgiving on tolerances so a good learning loco. When that is done, you'll have a) experience building and b) experiencing other locos and seeing their pluses and minuses. EVERY loco has positives and negatives, you just have to decide which ones you are willing to trade off with.
Matt Mason
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I ask about "father's car" because depending on the car -> even a CRAB can easily be tool big...

there are cars, compact SUVs, SUVs and trucks...all have different cargo capacities....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.