best way to get started?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

PilotBug

best way to get started?

Post by PilotBug »

Hello. This is my second post
Well, I wanna get started on this hobby, what would be the best way to do so.
I live in Wisconsin, am Currently, a teen, and have very limited machining knowledge and limited (ish) budget
What would be the best way to get started. like I have heard that you should start with a small locomotive with a low amount of parts. but what should I do?

Edit:
Thank you all for the wonderful advice, both in my first and second post. I am sorry for the radio silence :oops:
Last edited by PilotBug on Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
kcameron

Re: best way to get started?

Post by kcameron »

One way to build up knowledge would be some of the small steam engine kits from PM Research. You get plans and a box of castings and raw stock. When finished it will run on air or steam.

But another way is to buy a small, used but basically running engine. It might need a bit of work type thing. Something that gets you around the track. But given how long most take to finish, having something to play with while working on the real project is an important consideration. Many get a small electric so they have low maintenance and you can run and put it away without much work. Handy too when the steamer breaks down and you need to drag it back to the steaming bay. Note I said when, not if.
-ken cameron
Syracuse Model Railroad Club http://www.SyracuseModelRr.org/
CNY Modelers http://www.cnymod.com/
Finger Lakes Live Steamers http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/
Member JMRI Developer Team http://www.jmri.org/
mailto: kcameron@twcny.rr.com
In the Upstate New York US area of the world
thej611

Post by thej611 »

I am also in Wisconsin . Depending on where you are you can be a member at the St Croix river live stem group in Hudson wi . Nice group of guys and they could answer all your questions I am sure

http://www.stcroixrr.org/index.html
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

One thing you could do to get started, is to thank all the folks that answered your first post from several months ago.

Did you heed any of the advice from the answers from your first post?

Answering and thanking folks that have taken the time to help you out shows that you are serious. Going radio silent, shows that you are perhaps, well, not so serious.

Lots of nice folks here that want to help. Where have you been?
8thscale

Post by 8thscale »

Club: find something local, go explore (You will need to decide on gauge!)
Project: I always recommend a flat car (ie If you intend to be a builder) as that will get you involved (see above)
People: my experience was I needed (and benefited greatly) from help/assistance/training/experience of others to accomplish my goals (see above)

IMHO ...
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Do not bite more than you can chew.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
mmichaud1972

Post by mmichaud1972 »

Join a club and ask questions. Like mentioned above you have the St Croix Railroad located up by Hudson, WI and outside of Milwaukee, WI you have the Milwaukee Light Engineering Society. Around Wisconsin Dells you have the Dells Live Steamers. 25 years ago I started with an Allen Chole and moved up from there.

Mike M.
Allen Mogul
Allen Chloe
Fitchburg and Northern
Baldwin #5
Allen American
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

Building a locomotive is as much about the journey as it is the destination. It's a lot of work and if you are after the experience of building a locomotive go for it. I agree with tempering your pick with the time, space and resources available. Big locomotives are cool. They are also a lot more work and take bigger machines. But in your heart you want a locomotive skip stationary models and build a locomotive. Perhaps start with say the tender trucks and see if you genuinely like the work.

Buy tooling as you need it. You do not need a fully equipped shop to get started. You also do not need the heavy machines professionals need. The lighter hobby machines are slower than the heavier machines. But if the machine is in good shape and used to it's capabilities it will build a locomotive.

Join a club and be active. Tons of people talk. When the club members see you are serious you will get into the inner circle so to speak.

See what courses are available at the local community college. I talked to one near me about taking a class to get access to a larger machine than I owned. The instructor was all for it saying people who bring outside projects in generally learn more than the average student.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Once you decide on a locomotive project, I'd heavily suggest to buy all the castings or other parts you can as you are able while they are available, as you never 100% know for certain if a manufacturer, castings, parts etc will be available in the future.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Pilotbug, Welcome to Chaski, and the hobby in general!

+1 for joining a local club. A good way to get started is help with their run days, put in some time with work crews, and ask the members lots of questions about their locos. Many clubs own equipment and do training for new engineers. So you could get some experience running locomotives without having to make a big investment.

Another thing to do would be to take a lathe and milling class from your local community college- maybe a Saturday or evening class. Easy way to learn proper techniques for lathe work, again without having to make big investments. Welding is also a very helpful skill to learn.

Discover live steam has lots of used engines for sale.

Good luck, enjoy, and post pictures!

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Pilotbug:
You have heard from some of this remarkable community's senior and knowledgeable members. An honor for sure.
I hope you take advantage of their offered experience, and enjoy this unique hobby/education.
'Hope to hear more from you.
RussN
PilotBug

Post by PilotBug »

Builder01 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:36 pm One thing you could do to get started, is to thank all the folks that answered your first post from several months ago.

Did you heed any of the advice from the answers from your first post?

Answering and thanking folks that have taken the time to help you out shows that you are serious. Going radio silent, shows that you are perhaps, well, not so serious.

Lots of nice folks here that want to help. Where have you been?
Alright I have been busy with school and had other things going on during the summer

And thank you for this dose of reality