Help with Value on several 1.5" scale Steam Pumps

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Tank245

Help with Value on several 1.5" scale Steam Pumps

Post by Tank245 »

Hello, as the title says I am looking for some opinions and insight on the value of several 1.5" scale Steam Pumps I am helping a friend sell. I am not sure who the castings are from, so if anyone knows that would be wonderful info.
PXL_20210930_190622543.jpg
From what I can tell, they are mostly all single cylinder steam pumps that represent Westinghouse steam pumps.

From left to right:
1: Blank castings for a double cylinder pump?

2: unfinished castings for a single cylinder water pump

3: supposedly operational single cylinder water pump on a bracket (will not be for sale at this time)

4: supposedly operational single cylinder water pump

5: supposedly not operational single cylinder water pump

6: Dummy non functional single cylinder air compressor with air filter.

All of the pumps that are supposed to work appear to be water pumps. And I plan on verifying 4 works, and using the vast amount of spare parts to get 5 operational.

I would like opinions on value for the unfinished kits, the dummy, and the operational pumps (working and non working values).

I have a pretty good idea of what I'd sell them for, I'd just like further input.

Have a nice day,
Tim
Last edited by Tank245 on Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Shields

Re: Help with Value on several Steam Pumps

Post by Bill Shields »

Scale? I am guessing 1.5"

Makes a big difference in the value...

As I am sure you are aware that a running and functional pump is worth 4-5x what a dummy would sell for.

Thoughts:

I think the uppermost casting on the left (group 1) goes with a pump of the type in what you call group 2..or something similar. Never seen a twin cylinder pump with that sort of head -> it may just be a lone head with no associated castings.

The parts in group 1 look a little bit short to make a running pump (steam / water end) -> might just be the picture angle. if they are as short as they look...they may be spacers for between cylinders for 2 pumps.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
daves1459

Re: Help with Value on several Steam Pumps

Post by daves1459 »

The four completed pumps on the right of the picture look like they could be Winton Engineering pumps. If you can supply a photo of the back side I can be more definite.

Dave
tomc

Re: Help with Value on several 1.5" scale Steam Pumps

Post by tomc »

Those pumps look like the ones Tom Millar imported for his 2.5 scale engines a few years back. I have enclosed a pic of mine.

Tom C.
Attachments
12-20a.jpg
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I can't find my Winton catalog, but this photo is from a 1975 Scale Locomotives Incorporated catalog and the same photo is in a Mammoth Locomotive Works catalog. Both handled the Winton line at different times.
Attachments
Document (4).jpg
Tank245

Post by Tank245 »

Hey everyone, sorry for the late reply, it's been a busy week. Here is a photo of the back of the pumps. I have edited the post, they are 1.5" scale pumps.
Attachments
PXL_20211007_051052252.jpg
daves1459

Post by daves1459 »

I'm pretty sure they are Winton Engineering pumps. Castings and drawings were available for both air and water versions. The arrangement on top valve system was was very complex and difficult to make. How much do you want for the pump with "BAD" written on it?

Dave
Tank245

Post by Tank245 »

daves1459 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:14 pm I'm pretty sure they are Winton Engineering pumps. Castings and drawings were available for both air and water versions. The arrangement on top valve system was was very complex and difficult to make. How much do you want for the pump with "BAD" written on it?

Dave
At the current moment, im not 100% sure quite yet on value for the Bad one. I took all 3 of them out today and connected them to my boiler and gave them a test on steam. 2 pumps worked pretty good, one I am keeping and one I will be selling, and the Bad one obviously did not. however, I believe it did not work because it needs new gaskets on the valve and the top cylinder, the good news is the piston was wanting to move, but I think the leaking gaskets where too much to make it pump. Im going to hopefully try replacing the gaskets and running it on air to hopefully offer a functional pump. If however you would rather have it non functional I guess we can work something out. Currently for the Functional pump I am thinking of a value in the $1,000 area shipped. for the second pump I would like to try to make it functional to sell for the same price, if I cannot get it too work then it will be less as I cannot guarantee it will pump water, probably in the $600 range?. I am helping sell these pumps for a close friend, and All the money from these pumps is going to him to help him finish his new steam locomotive he purchased, So I am wanting to get as much for him as reasonably possible.
Tank245

Post by Tank245 »

Hello everyone, just an update. The bad pump has been sold and the dummy pump is also pending sale which leaves the 1 functional pump for sale and the unfinished castings for sale. I have added listings to the marketplace along with another non working pump I am selling as a detail part.