Friends models hudson

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

milwiron

Re: Friends models hudson

Post by milwiron »

Geez Bill that's a beautiful engine.
Denny
Bill Shields wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:16 am all of which does not mean that a running loco cannot be built...just takes a bit longer.

These photos from early 1980, so they are scans of slides:

One thing: forget the rockers on the back of the trailing truck...all they do is fall out.

I put rollers in as you can see in the photo.
finished hudson002 small.jpg
rockers modified as rollers.jpg
finished hudson001-small.jpg
"Measure twice, curse once."
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Jordanleeds wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:12 amNot sure using stays as heatskinks would be ideal considering they could easily burn away.
If I knew that, or believed there was even a possibility of that happening, I would never have suggested it. Part of the success of such a modification would be to make changes in the stay design, as they would become a different thing than what was called for in the original design. They would probably want to be larger in diameter than what was originally specified, at least on that exposed end, and then be made of a stronger just as good a heat conducting material such as phosphor bronze.

None of the boilers I've made with extended stub ends, admittedly only a few, have had problems reported to me. I've made boilers with crossed heat sinks . . . center-flue types with solid phos-bronze cross-bars (not acting as stays), which weren't in the least affected by flue heat and steamed very well.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Welcome Jordanleeds. There are many knowledgeable and helpful builders on this site. The New York Central Hudson is a great locomotive. Both the model and her big sister. Unfortunately there are none of her big sisters left. What a shame. But there is a lot of drawings and information available. John K at Yankee workshops has a lot of very nice castings and drawings, and I just happen to have a few little trinkets for the J1, with many more to come. I will be glad to help any way I can.
Happy Building
Jordanleeds

Post by Jordanleeds »

JBodenmann wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:51 pm Hello My Friends
Welcome Jordanleeds. There are many knowledgeable and helpful builders on this site. The New York Central Hudson is a great locomotive. Both the model and her big sister. Unfortunately there are none of her big sisters left. What a shame. But there is a lot of drawings and information available. John K at Yankee workshops has a lot of very nice castings and drawings, and I just happen to have a few little trinkets for the J1, with many more to come. I will be glad to help any way I can.
Happy Building
Many thanks I have sent you a private message
Jordanleeds

Post by Jordanleeds »

Well the loco arrived and whilst there are issues there's nothing major really wrong.

Save for the bogie wheels being loose on the axles so it looks as though these will have to be bushed and then loctited on properly there however doesn't seem to be any end float on the tender axleboxes