Model steam train build questions

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

ChipsAhoy

Re: Model steam train build questions

Post by ChipsAhoy »

I second the motion "Find and visit local clubs first".
And another good book is "So you want to build a Live Steam Locomotive". It may not give ideas on which to build as much as it gives good pointers on building.
Scotty
Pipescs

Re: Model steam train build questions

Post by Pipescs »

Recommendation from someone like your self just a little farther down the road.

I Planed to build too large and complicated of a project with too small a shop and no experience. A lot of projects went by the way as I realized they were not what I needed.

Recommendations

Go to the club near you. Meet at least five people every time you visit.
You will find those that talk a good show but have never done it. Ok to be friends but down go down any rabbit holes that you better judgment says no to. You need meet the ones that have done it and more importantly are willing to mentor you.

While I am now closing in on the end of a ten year build, I was lucky enough to find an engine at a reasonable price that had not run in thirty years. You will be amazed at what you can learn bringing an old engine back to life. Look for one that has run but not running now. Be shy of half built projects that someone may have screwed up to the point they quit on it. As stated earlier, go with a scale you can logistically support on your income at this point in life..

Start looking for used machine tools. Stay away from Imports. Most of mine came out of barns or sheds. Learned a lot in simply rebuilding them.

Check your local community college system for classes on Machine Tool Tech., Welding and such.

Jump in
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)