Loud clicking noise with open throttle

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Raj S

Loud clicking noise with open throttle

Post by Raj S »

I’m not finding much on this topic and can use some thoughts.
I have a little engines coal fired Hudson with slide valves. Recently when running with the throttle open and going forward I get a loud repetitious clicking sound that is in sync with wheel and rod motion. It is happening on the right side only. The timing is square and it has a good chuff but it has that additional metal clicking sound. When the throttle is closed and the locomotive is drifting in motion the sound goes away. However, once you pull open the throttle again it comes back. If you walk slowly with the locomotive and throttle open there is no noise so it has been difficult to pinpoint. At first I thought it was side rod but it seems to be coming from the valve or steam chest. A typical load is 4 gons with 3 people in each or 12 people so it is loud starting out or with half or more throttle. I run at 120-125 psi. Open to thoughts or similar experiences for repair or inspection. Thanks
cbrew

Re: Loud clicking noise with open throttle

Post by cbrew »

hmm,, I would pull the front covers and make sure the pistons are tight
asap
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

As suggested is an easy place to start...assuming that you have checked everything that you can check..

Including: main rod pin and bushing inside of the crosshead....which is a major place for wear.

You have to literally have to disassemble the cross head body to check it.

If you see nothing then as suggested pull the front covers and look see
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

The more you work the engine the more force being transmitted through the main rod etc.
Very likely it is a bushing somewhere potentially the side to side slop in the main rod connecting to the crank pin would be my first place to look.

Feel if there's much slack front to rear or side to side on your rods.

There's always the potential that a crank pin needs to be replaced but much more likely it's bushings.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Raj...another thought. If you have brake hangers and shoes...make sure that all pins are in place and NOT hitting the back side of the rods. Have seen this (heard this) before. Leave nothing to chance and start with the simple checks. Hope you'll let the board here know what you find. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Raj S

Post by Raj S »

Good advice all thanks. Yes it was worked hard over the weekend and a little lateral movement on the rod on rear wheel nearest the firebox but no forward back movement. Will do the suggested checks.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

When dealing with something like this (I do this in autos too, but with an insulated "instrument" [a stick] around electronics for obvious reasons), due to being deaf, I like to hold a "sixth finger" to different components until I can pinpoint the actual click, slam, bang, crash - whatever the suspect noise is. Then I delve into that general area to help find the issue. I believe you mentioned this only happens under load, might need to find a way to put it under load to help find this.

I hope you can resolve your issue quickly. I have been behind the throttle when a crankpin completely sheared due to the maintenance folks deferred replacing rod bushings "just a few more months til the offseason"... Threw my body into the edge of the cab roof. Driving axle "jumped" and the entire running gear took on a shape that resembles a Lionel locomotive when something is awry. Don't defer this type of maintenance!
Raj S

Post by Raj S »

Thanks. Working on plans to pinpoint the issue when I'm back at the track. All good advice.
Raj S

Post by Raj S »

I inspected the locomotive over the weekend and checked the crosshead for play. Whoever advised to check your crosshead and bushings wins the prize! Sure enough it had forward and back play but not readily noticeable since the grease made it tight. The wrist pin felt tight as well so I ran it back and forth on air to try and hear the clickity clank. At first there was nothing, but after a few strokes it started again and especially with the steam cylinder cocks open. I couldn't quite tell if the sound was coming from the steam chest or expansion link, but as I slowed things down and went from forward to reverse I could actually see and hear the crosshead move and click as I opened the throttle. Apparently there was just enough wear in the bushing to cause the crosshead to move. I am now going to replace the bronze bushings in the main rod and this should hopefully do it. I attached some photos with the main rod out of the crosshead and wrist pin placed back into the side rod to check for fit and the wear is noticeable. I believe the photo orientation may be wrong but could not fix. Thanks all.
Attachments
wristpin1.JPG
wristpin1.JPG (15.97 KiB) Viewed 4828 times
wristpin2.JPG
wristpin2.JPG (15.94 KiB) Viewed 4828 times
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Seems appropriate. I have seen worse wrist pins/bushings. I have had to re-make a few in 12" gauge before. Fun activity on the lathe :-)

Looks like a fairly simple job. Don't forget to check the condition of the hole in the crosshead that the wristpin goes into. If that is worn out/damaged, then you may still experience some wear.

Hope you get back on the road soon!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Gee...do I get a beer? :roll:

I have learned to use mds nylon or deltin af (Delrin AF) in that location
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

And this is an example of why the members on Chaski are so important.

I have never had a question that someone could not guide me through.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)