Air compressor

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Trainsplanesandautos

Air compressor

Post by Trainsplanesandautos »

I am working on a new to me 1 1/2 scale steam locomotive. My first locomotive a Allen 10 wheeler used steam to the brake cylinders which was 20 years ago. Now I have noticed many people are using compressed air run with a battery operated compressor. I do agree that air would be a better system with no condensation. What type of compressor battery set up are people using? Any advice would be helpful.
Bill Shields

Re: Air compressor

Post by Bill Shields »

Brakes for the loco or train.. or both?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Chessi2700

Post by Chessi2700 »

Viair make small air compressors that work quite well for air brake applications. They come in different sizes. they make one that has a 100% duty cycle. I have one to use on my engine when it is finished. I know several fellas that use them and are happy with them.
I would recommend them.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

TP&A...

Bill makes a good point. What are you trying to accomplish? There are many ways to go about adding working air brakes to a locomotive/train. Can you provide some specifics what you're trying to do?

My Rutland 10 wheeler originally had vacuum brakes on the loco and tender. Never worked that well. The vacuum diaphragms were removed from the tender trucks and those trucks converted to "straight air" brakes. The diaphragm on the loco was replaced and the ejector cleaned. That works, but I rarely use that. Sometimes check the ejector and use the loco diaphragm for a parking brake. There's no regulation with that.

When I build remote brake systems to go in a caboose for rear end train brakes while switching, one of the little $15-20 compressors will work fine. That system is basically on/off. For the train brakes, have a stock car, well ventilated for carrying a propane tank..but also carries a battery module with a motorcycle battery to power an air compressor, locomotive lighting and other.

That air compressor I use is a Campbell Hausfeld 12 volt inflator compressor. One of the larger models. These can run from $50 to $80 or more. From the compressor, the air goes thru a check valve, thru a manifold and into an air reservoir. Other manifold connections include the compressor cut in/cut out pressure switch (a Square D pumptrol switch with at least 40-60 psi range) as well as local pressure gauge, test dump air valve and connection to a Clippard quick connector. This system strictly maintains pressure in the reservoir. There are no regulation controls on this module.

The reservoir air pressure is run under the stock car and tender to the loco cab...with connection points alongside any couplers or drawbars. In the cab, there's a Clippard linear regulator under the cab floor operated by a brake stand with a cam that pushes the regulator plunger in. There are two pressure gauges on the cab floor: 1) air reservoir pressure and 2) brake pipe pressure. The brake pipe line then goes back underneath to the tender brakes, jumps over to the stock car with brakes on all wheels and a quick connector at the back of the stock to any trailing cars with brakes.

If I'm hauling riders...I will put the riding cars behind the stock car and connect the brake pipe lines. All my riding cars have working air brakes. When doing switching operations, there's usually a riding car coupled in front of the caboose. So the remote brake unit in the caboose can be activated to hold the rear end of the train on grades until the train is made whole and the caboose brakes released. The remote brake unit is connected to the caboose marker lamps. So the engineer knows if the rear end train crew is doing their job.

How's that? Give you enough info to chew on for a while? Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Trainsplanesandautos

Post by Trainsplanesandautos »

Thank you everyone for your help. At this point I am interested in just Locomotive brakes. But train brakes would be a great option. At his point my focus is the locomotive, but a system that would allow expansion into the train would be desirable. Back years ago train brakes were vacuum is that sill so?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Rarely is vacuum used on loco braked based on the need for larger diaphragms.

Steam on the loco brakes is dead simple. Arrangements can be made to drain condensate from the cylinders.

KISS
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

My locos use steam for the engine brakes, and a steam ejector for vacuum brakes on the tender and following cars.
The engine brake cylinders can have condensate drained from them but in operation that can work equally well hydraulically. Not an issue.
And they do not consume steam like the vacuum ejector does.

So normal operation is to use the vacuum brakes for train control and stopping,
and the engine steam brakes for holding the train when stopped, and as additional braking when the engineer screws up and is not watching ahead. (!)
This actually replicates prototypical use on full-sized steam locomotives.
RussN
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

NP317 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:06 pm ... and as additional braking when the engineer screws up and is not watching ahead. (!)
This actually replicates prototypical use on full-sized steam locomotives.
RussN

Hmmm.... how do you know this? :lol:
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

How do I know this?
From close calls. Only.
Whew!

But never when engineering full sized locomotives. Too much at stake to get careless.
RussN