bras pipe fittings how to make

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

squandt

bras pipe fittings how to make

Post by squandt »

Hello to all, dose anyone in the great beyond know of any place to find prints,or the like on how to make brass pipe fitting to scale for use on our engines? I know you can get them from PM industries,I just like to make parts if I can. Any help would be great.
stay on the shine side of the rail
Harold_V

Re: bras pipe fittings how to make

Post by Harold_V »

If you hope to make fittings that resemble miniature prototypes, the normal process is investment casting. You can produce exceedingly fine detail by this method. In order to pursue that avenue, you'll have to have the ability to make the mold (die) which is used to produce the wax patterns that are invested. You also must have the ability to pour molten bronze, which can be done by vacuum casting or with a centrifuge.

While the process isn't all that difficult, without the proper equipment, it could prove to be very challenging.

Alternately, you can make the fittings from bars stock. It would be rather difficult to produce the detail that is common with castings, however.

H

Edit: You also have the option of pouring sand castings. You would still have to make a pattern (plus core boxes), one or more for each type of fitting, and the detail that is common with investment casting is not easily produced with sand. I am of the opinion that if you spend enough time with the molding process, you can come close.
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
milwiron

Post by milwiron »

Just my opinion, fittings from bar stock always look a bit too sterile. PM Research unmachined fittings and valves will let you make fixturing decisions and chips... and still look like they belong on an old engine.
We can't always use castings but it's nice when you can.

Denny
"Measure twice, curse once."
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

PM research valves are quite cheap when you think about the time needed to make those valves from barstock.

Happy to give them $25-30 for a valve. Would rather spend my time on many other things on the loco.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is something you may like. These are some new castings I have of octagon section 90 degree ells. They are investment cast bronze and are available in 1/8", 5/32", 3/16", 1/4", and 5/16" sizes with 3/8" soon to come. Also coming will be 45 degree ells and tees. See the for sale page for price.
Jack
Attachments
Octagon Ells.jpeg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

squandt:
I notice you asked about making brass fittings.
Note that those people/businesses casting such fittings make them from bronze.
Generally brass is not the best material for steam fittings due to their tendency to "de-zincify" over time.
Bronze is stable and preferred for steam use. Much stronger than brass.
I know others here can expand on my comments.

What scale are your engines?
RussN
squandt

Post by squandt »

The fittings I am looking for are outside the boiler, the connection from the throttle to the valve chambers, the downpipes .The throttle I am using is behind the stack on the smoke box, the downpipes pass thru the smoke box to the valves
My Engine is 3/4" castings from the old Little Engines, I got them in 1983,now that I am retired (50 years as a chef) I am looking forward to finishing the Engine. I need unions, that is what I am looking for to make.
stay on the shine side of the rail
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

ugh...avoid trying to make unions whenever possible.

getting them down inside where you are considering is going to be a major squeeze.

by the time you purchase all of the tooling you will need to make a couple of unions (if that is the way you want to go)...then purchasing from PMR is going to look cheap in comparison.

nobody is ever going to see them...hopefully...unless they leak...then you will see them once too often.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

PM Research will also sell you a tree of rough casting for fittings at a reasonable price.

For investment casting, another option is to 3D print the "waxes" in castable resin You still need the investment casting equipment, but for small quantities it is another option to molds and wax patterns.

Check your PMs for sketches of unions by Bill Van Brocklin.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Help My Friends
If you would like to make your own model elbows and tees, here is something you may find useful. These elbows have a shortcoming as mentioned earlier in this thread in that they can not me made to look quite right. They can not have much of a radius in the curved part as they are drilled. To have the main body of the curved part a true radius you must investment cast them using a soluble core to attain a curved hole through them, as curved drill bits are very hard to find these days :lol: . But these will work just fine and it's no big deal to make up a little gaggle of them when needed. I also want to mention that Patrick at California Locomotive has a very nice line of tees and elbows. They range in size from 1/16" through 5/16". He has some very nice products, check out his website. Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that bronze should be used for locomotive piping. This is correct, but have you noticed that the threaded nipples, and unions that you can buy are made of free machining brass... Also many of the globe valve bonnets. Just thought I would mention that.
See Ya' Later Alligator.
Jack
Attachments
Making Ebows.jpeg