Rule of thumb re. cylinders and pistons

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

jscarmozza

Rule of thumb re. cylinders and pistons

Post by jscarmozza »

I'm curious if there is a rule of thumb regarding the piston rings used in a bronze cylinder vs. a cast iron cylinder. I'm looking into building Kozo's Heisler in 1" scale. I was going to cast the cylinder in bronze and was thinking about the pros and cons of lining the cylinder and using cast iron rings, Kozo recommends using asbestos graphite yarn in unlined bronze cylinders, is this a good method? John
Builder01

Re: Rule of thumb re. cylinders and pistons

Post by Builder01 »

O rings work well in bronze cylinders. I have bronze cylinders and switched from packing to O rings. (After I blew the packing out!).
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

The yarn works well if you do it correctly... Brits been using it for decades

O-rings are easier
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

I guess I don't know how to use the yarn! (Thanks Bill). Yes, O rings are easier, even I can use them.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Builder01 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:55 pm I guess I don't know how to use the yarn! (Thanks Bill). Yes, O rings are easier, even I can use them.
You REALLY have to pack the graphited string in tightly. I roll the pistons on a piece of plate glass to really cram it in there. It not only compresses the packing, but it gets an almost glazed appearance. The piston should be fairly tight fit when being installed, it will loosen up as you run in the engine.

Keith
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

I have a Pacific project on the bench that had a metal ringed piston on one side and a yarn packed piston on the other (in cast iron sleeves), I was astounded by how much yarn was packed into those grooves! So yarn or o-rings are legitimate alternatives to metal piston rings. What type of O-ring material and would they be round or square cross section? I think I know the answer but I'm going to ask anyhow, would bronze or brass rings be ok or is it best to go with 'soft' rings on bronze cylinders? Thanks, John
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

In my opinion a primary consideration for bronze cylinders, after the basic mechanical requirements are met, is preserving the bores so I would always want to use a soft (ie,non-metallic) ring. O-rings would be my initial choice, but I'd think one of the ever-evolving modern plastics would make excellent non-marring rings.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

I used Aflas rings from McMaster Carr. High end temp is a little bit higher than Viton. Supposed to be good up to 450f. My first set have been in for three years now.
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

For o-rings, should I use the standard dimensions for the groove or do something different? John
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

There are dimensions for static and dynamic.

I typically work to .003 squeeze
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

The squeeze should be on the ID and OD. The side of the groove should provide a little clearance.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

The squeeze should be on the ID and OD. The side of the groove should provide a little clearance.