New Parts for an Old Locomotive

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Fender

Re: New Parts for an Old Locomotive

Post by Fender »

Get the pH test strips that have four swatches, not the single swatch type. The latter don’t distinguish the different pH levels above 8 or 9 very well, and you are probably shooting for 10 or 11.
Attachments
1372EB2D-2A8C-4AD6-9AF3-A546A0692647.jpeg
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Fender

Post by Fender »

The single-swatch test strips typically are useless for checking higher pH levels, as the colors are pretty much the same.
Attachments
FFBD53F3-121F-45BE-A38E-FCCA1406A257.jpeg
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Or you can purchase a meter for $10 -> $300

If j were doing it i would get a mid priced meter and check it against Fender's strips periodically. I find colors tough to see out in bright sunlight.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

Thanks guys. I also find it difficult to accurately read the color strips. I tested my water yesterday after running for a few hours. I think it was reading well over 9, but I can’t really be sure. I’ll look into your suggestions. I. Put up a new video on my YouTube channel. Its just a goofy practice piece I made with the camera software I have been playing with. Cheers!
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Regarding tapered pins, McMaster Carr has tapered pins with a jack nut on the large end to facilitate extraction. I was always reluctant to use tapered pins if the small end was inaccessible, this solves the problem provided you have room for the nut.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Question about taper pins: do they need to be installed using an orientation where “gravity” will help keep them in place? For example, where the piston rod goes into the crosshead, and the assembly will be retained by a taper pin, should the pin be angled “downwards”? My concern is that where there is a push-pull force, they might work loose and fall out, otherwise.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

never had one come loose or fall out because Sir Isaac was assisting...

pins with threads on the end apply to larger sizes.

in our scale, they are most often driven into open bottom holes so that if needed, they can be tapped out from the small end...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

I have taper pins holding my cross heads to the piston rods. I made a tool to push on the small end of the pin. Sort of like a small C clamp, pins come out easily, and only when you want them to. No hammering needed to extract.
DSCN0844.JPG
They are installed at an angle, large end is up. With the pin extractor tool, I can replace my piston rings in the field if needed.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Builder01 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:48 pm I have taper pins holding my cross heads to the piston rods. I made a tool to push on the small end of the pin. Sort of like a small C clamp, pins come out easily, and only when you want them to. No hammering needed to extract.
An excellent move on your part. Hammering on taper pins tends to distort the end, rendering them rather impossible to remove unless they come loose on the first hit.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.