Binders

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

hoppercar

Binders

Post by hoppercar »

Is anyone aware, of anybody selling 1/8th scale chain binders?...non operational, investment castings would be fine. I've got some 1/8th scale Farmall model m tractors I want to chock, and chain down to a flatcar. ...precision steel car has the scale chain, and hooks........just looking for chain binders, or any other ideas....thanks
NP317

Re: Binders

Post by NP317 »

Google search for miniature turnbuckles:
https://www.google.com/search?q=miniatu ... AXoECAEQAQ

Many options. Not exactly what you seek but they work and look good.
RussN
JoeKahan

Post by JoeKahan »

I'm eagerly awaiting someone to answer with a source. I looked around for a while but without any luck. I found 1/10 scale chain and hooks at a local R/C shop that they use on the little rock crawler Jeeps. That was close enough for my purpose. I was thinking of asking a buddy to 3D print a couple for me.
Joe Kahan
C.E.O. Paradise and Warm Springs Railway
GE 23T Box Cab
Allen Chloe Project
M.O.W. Highrailer project
vernon911

Post by vernon911 »

We have scale chain in 3 sizes and hooks that match the largest link size. The hooks will hook back onto the chain. We also have brake shackles that some have used to attach the chain to the decking.

www.precisionsteelcar.com

Sincerely
Paul Vernon
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Hoopercar...back in 2010, had a flat car with some 1/8 scale tractors and other knick-knacks to chain down. Shoot...the flatcar load gimmicks are probably worth more than car with trucks and couplers!

Made my own ratchet chain binders. This was nothing more than a 6-32 turnbuckle. Made the chain binders using LH and RH all thread rod. There's a spring loaded stainless steel ball bearing in the handle that "clicks" when the handle is rotated...but does not drive the turnbuckle. Some pix...

IMG_9360.JPG

Didn't take long to find out those jewelry earring hooks didn't like to be tightened up. Also wanted to make the chain binder "body" a little heavier too. By that time, PSC came out with their chain hooks. Got a bunch of those and converted all the binder hooks...

IMG_1975.JPG

Used some clock chain. Sand blasted and painted the chain. And then went about fitting up the tie-downs.

IMG_3029.JPG

Of course, if you're looking for a lever tie down and don't want to take the time make something, PSC is the way to go. Hope this helps. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!