Change valve gear

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

hoppercar

Change valve gear

Post by hoppercar »

A new locomotive project, I have been pondering over, ...I wanna take the basic rrsc mikado frame, and change it from walschearts to baker gear?...this might be a little beyond my ability?.....maybe I should talk to godshalls about this ?......any thoughts out there ?....thanks
rrnut-2

Re: Change valve gear

Post by rrnut-2 »

Ask Mike at RRSC, he may already have prints for the Baker valve gear and making the parts for it wouldn't take him long.

As always, call after 6pm, forget the answering machine (the phone is not his) and don't bother with emails.

Jim B
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Someone used the short frame Baker from Roger goldman's 2-8-0 and mounted it to a RRSC mike chassis. I think an NYC model?

I've also seen photos of a B&O ( I think?) mike that Wayne worked on with baker.

Baker was more universally interchangable than walschaert, so I'd think it would be easier going Walscheart to baker than vis versa.
Always thought a USRA heavy 2-10-2 from RRSC castings with SOU Vg would be a neat project. just a bit on the big size. I believe the Erie, CB&Q and Colorado and Southern had them - all weirdly enough with southern valve gear.
little giant

Post by little giant »

I have Roger Goldman’s short frame and will be mounting on a mikado frame to make a NYC H10b. New York Central used both walschaert and baker, both long and short frames. The baker valve gears used replaceable pins and bushings so no castings would wear out making it easier for maintenance and service.