Super scale economy injector question

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Kevin S

Re: Super scale economy injector question

Post by Kevin S »

skyloop440 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:28 pm Hi Guys:
I can't say for sure that it ever worked and yes the washer moves freely that does lead to a question about the washer, which way does it go, flat side up or the recessed side up.

Matt
I have been taught how to place the washer on the SuperScale injector is to remember the term "cup up". That means place the flat side down and the recessed side up, and that was taught by Professor Hauge himself while helping my friend with his Chicago injector.
-Kevin S.
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

That works for me (CUP UP) I had it apart and soaked it in vinegar, wasn't really dirty but it had some white build up in it, not heavy but there.

Thanks again
Matt
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Hi Carl, yeah your right...Barry was a stickler for detail, and it's hard to see why he would let a faulty injector leave the shop....but, it is, what it is...lol........I guess I just got the black sheep...I was gonna try, capping it, and pressurizing with air, and look for a pin hole leak...but with a working injector now, it just keeps getting pushed farther and farther on the back burner, as other projects come along...lol.....but after 2 years, my curiosity is peaked again....I'm gonna have to give it a try.....tim
bill4227

Post by bill4227 »

Have you read this from EE? https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... c+Injector

Link does not function. See second post below for one that does
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

The above link won't open ?
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

Dave Bortz

Post by Dave Bortz »

Hi Trainfans...
Just read the trouble... Just sent both folks with issues PM's... give me a call and lets work through these issues. Porosity happens in castings... even at great foundries like Barry used to use... If you let me know, I will make it right, just like Barry would have.
Thanks
Dave Bortz
Superscale
skyloop440

Post by skyloop440 »

Hi Guys:
Just thought i would let you all know that i got the injector working, tried it out today. It worked from about 60 psi all the way to about 100 psi would have gone higher.

I would like to thank every one that chimed in and got me going in the right direction like the washer (cup up) not exactly sure what i fixed but it is working like a charm.

Would also like to say thanks to Dave Bortz of Superscale for being willing to stand behind this, I did not know Superscale was alive.

Thanks again
Matt
kapullen

Post by kapullen »

Did you swap the good and bad injectors side to side to eliminate plumbing problems?
Like swapping boards in a cnc machine.
Kap
Fadal Turn, Fadal Vmc 15, Prototrak 16 x 30 Cnc Lathe, Pratt and Whitney 16 x 54 lathe, Pratt and Whitney Vertical Shaper, G & E 16" Shaper, B & O Electric turret lathe, 36" Doall band saw,
Enco B.P. Clone, Bridgeport CNC Mill, Delta 12" Surface Grinder.
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

FWIW, I have a Super Scale Economy Injector on my Kozo A3 and mine will not work unless I take it apart and clean it after every run, which is what I do. If I forget, it will not work the next time I run. After many runs, I began cleaning the injector and noticed during my cleaning that the check washer gets "glued" to the delivery nozzle. What I think happens is after I run and blow down, the residual moisture in the piping condenses and sits in that area of the injector and dries out. The minerals in the water seem to act as a glue. Whenever I take it apart, I grab that washer and it won't come off. I soak it in water for a bit and eventually it comes right off. Once the washer is loose on the nozzle, I put it back together and everything works great.

I have changed my routine to include blowing down the injector with air at the end of each run to try to get as much moisture out of the plumbing as I can.

$.02

Ken-
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Water source is... ? City water or well?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Post operation I always charge the boiler with compressed air and run/blow ALL items clear of water, including the main cylinders.
I have never had freeze damage or sticking check valves, etc, since doing that.
And I use water treatment and periodic blow-downs during operation.
RussN