PVC Tender tanks

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

JohnHudak

PVC Tender tanks

Post by JohnHudak »

OK, I've heard of several people recommending using PVC sheet to build a tank inside the tender to hold the water.. I like the idea, but haven't seen anything online about materials, thicknesses, construction techniques, usage, etc...
Has anyone actually done this? If you have, could you please share your experiences, photos, etc..
Thanks..
JBodenmann

Re: PVC Tender tanks

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I have made several PVC tanks. Some as retrofits for rusted tanks and some for new builds. 1/4" PVC sheets can be bought from McMaster, also angle that can be used for reinforcement. Most larger cities will have plastic dealers that sell this material. I will join the pieces with Hot Blue Glue which is sold at most hardware stores for joining PVC pipe. PVC sheet can be cut on a table saw, which makes assembly of these tanks fast and simple. Where there are inlets and outlets for piping, the thickness can be doubled up. You can also use solid round stock to make bulkhead fittings. Drill and tap this using the lathe and glue them in. This material drills and taps nicely. Put some bulkheads inside to support Gulliver sitting on the tank. A little trick to ensure no leaks at the joints is, before you glue the top on, pour some glue inside and tilt the tank to flow the glue down all the joints. These tanks are very strong and corrosion resistant. My dear departed friend Jack Sessums built entire tender tanks from this material. They looked fantastic, but did not have the durability of a steel or brass tank. If you are building a steel tank, a PVC liner is ideal. Spray on liners are a temporary solution and will ALL eventually fail. Failure usually starts where there are inlets and outlets and quickly spreads. The ideal tender is one with a brass tank. Brass has gotten very expensive, and a large 1-1/2" scale tender will cost a kings ransom these days. One benefit of 3/4" scale :D .
Happy Model Building
Jack
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

or a welded stainless tank inside the tender shell
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Brass is the only way to go.....I have always made my tenders out of brass......with, all the forming, drilling, riveting, and soldering.....there labor intensive , no doubt.........but you have a trouble free, forever tender
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Using a welded stainless tank inside the tender body would also be a lifetime solution.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Thanks Jack, Very helpful information…
I’ll start sourcing materials ASAP…
John
ebtfan

Post by ebtfan »

I have a welded stainless internal tank but think the PVC tank is a great idea.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Is there any specific reason to go SS vs PVC? I guess SS is more expensive/harder to make, but in terms of longevity, both should be pretty similar?
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

The first thing which comes to mind is that PVC can be worked at home, like wood, with hand and small power tools. For many of us some aspect of SS construction, in my case welding for instance, would need to be sent out. My guess is SS would last far longer, because PVC or acrylic is brittle and might eventually suffer from plastic fatigue around the bushings.

Jack, I was surprised at the choice of 1/4" thickness. It's probably the most widely available but I would've assumed that for an interior tank something thinner would do.

Also, there are those pourable fuel tank lining compounds . . . what has anyone's experience been with those?

I'll tell you what does NOT work as a post-installed liner, no matter how well you prepare . . . fiberglass.
Last edited by gwrdriver on Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

It is also very easy to hot air weld pvc which is a bonus with fabrication. Not much more than $100 for a setup. PVC filler rod is used. PVC is way easy to work with.
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Another option, at least here in the PNW, is to use polyethelyne water tanks, purchased from a marine sanitation, or RV supplier. We have one such marine vendor locally who stocks 100’s of various sizes and shapes. Most are in the hundred dollar category. These are typically seamless, being “forged”in a press or CNC controlled machine, somehow. Very good quality. The only disadvantage is some are limited to maybe 30 gal capacity, or thereabouts. I think thickness of construction material limits the size. Many still in use after 25 years service.

My guess is, buying one or two of these likely is cheaper than purchasing materials and tools, if you are only looking for one tank.

Anyway, possibly A quick and viable option for placing a tank , or two, inside a tender shell.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
daves1459

Post by daves1459 »

I have a tender tank to build. I have planned to construct it the old standard way out of brass and sealed with lead free solder. A PVC tank offers some intriguing options. I wonder, could the outer tank with all the detail be made bottomless? Could the PVC tank rest directly on the tender frame and be attached to it. That would provide for easy direct connections. Then, could the hollow outer tank simply slip over the PVC tank with the sides and ends resting on the frame held with brackets. if that would work how about the stiffening the outer tank to support the rider?

Dave