Brake Valves

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

318J

Brake Valves

Post by 318J »

Is there a current supplier for brake valves in the hobby? Looking for a brake valve to set up for straight air operation. I see locoparts.biz has one, but their website seems to be out of date, and many links don't work, make me think they might be out of business, and no emails have been responded to.

Thank you for your help.
-Sam
Boilermaker, Pipefitter, former Railroader
"Preserving the Past and Ensuring Our Future"
JoeKahan

Re: Brake Valves

Post by JoeKahan »

Are you looking for something that looks prototypical or just a valve to control the brakes? I got a valve from Tombeeonline a while back. Works and it's fairly reasonable. Last week at Train Mountain, I got to use it for the first time. That place is so cool. Here's a link address: https://tombeeonline.com/products/brake ... e-no-gauge
Joe
Joe Kahan
C.E.O. Paradise and Warm Springs Railway
GE 23T Box Cab
Allen Chloe Project
M.O.W. Highrailer project
318J

Post by 318J »

Ideally something more prototypical looking. This will be for a smaller sized grandscale engine, so being somewhat larger isn't a bad thing. The locoparts valve is of a somewhat larger size, (1.125" x 2"), picture below. That's probably about as small as I'd go though.

The Tom Bee valve seems to be smaller than that, obviously for 1.5" scale. But if I can't find anything else I can make it work. Possibly hide it in a larger housing and add a bigger handle.

I should add that I want it to have the ability to apply, hold, and release.
Attachments
Brakevalve2.jpg
Brakevalve2.jpg (21.09 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
-Sam
Boilermaker, Pipefitter, former Railroader
"Preserving the Past and Ensuring Our Future"
765nkp

Post by 765nkp »

Call Jeff at locoparts. He is great to deal with. Just talked to him last week they are still open.
Tim